Talk

Advanced search

When are we likely to know?

(7 Posts)
SmileAndNod Mon 15-Jun-15 13:51:04

We've been in contact with a breeder since about March with a view to one day possibly getting a puppy. We've emailed, phoned, asked lots of daft questions and eventually had a visit to meet the owners and the dogs, which went well, and were told that they were planning to breed from one bitch at the beginning of June - any puppies would be ready for new homes end Sept / early Oct (I think)

Is it too soon to know if she was successfully mated? I don't want to contact them and be a pain. Having lots of bad stuff going on at the moment and I suppose I want to know if I should be worrying about this too, or whether I should put it out of my mind for the time being.

Thank you

mrslaughan Mon 15-Jun-15 15:56:11

Many breeders won't tell you until they are born. Just there is so much stuff that can go wrong.....

tabulahrasa Mon 15-Jun-15 18:23:06

Also, when the bitch actually goes into season isn't an exact science, she may have gone into season and have been mated already, they may still be waiting.

SmileAndNod Mon 15-Jun-15 19:19:04

Oh thank you. I can see why they might not announce anything until the pups were born, that makes sense. A quick Google tells me that they are born about 9 weeks from ovulation if mating was successful. Which of course it may not be. She may not have liked him!

I so want it to work out but nothing good ever happens to me, certainly not at the moment. I'm probably hoping too muchsad

tabulahrasa Mon 15-Jun-15 19:45:30

If they're experienced breeders, they should mate...it's when it's definitely worked and then that everything has gone well that's trickier.

If she's even been mated yet, as I said, that bit's a bit of guesswork really.

daisydotandgertie Mon 15-Jun-15 19:51:41

It is too early to know - they may choose to U/S which will tell them if the mating was successful and that can't be done reliably until about 30 days after mating.

I always U/S and tell my waiting list if mating has been successful or not, but it's important to remember that head counting is sometimes inaccurate! Fingers crossed your breeder scans, and then you can start looking forward to maybe a pup, depending how far down her waiting list you are smile.

You should put it out of your mind until mid Julyish, I'd suggest.

SmileAndNod Tue 16-Jun-15 20:13:42

We're number 2 on the list, but she is going to keep one too, so really we're number 3 (or 4 if she falls in love with more than one).

I walked my brother's dog for a bit yesterday and it made me so broody. And made me realize how much I miss my dog. I'm trying really hard to not think about it. Honestly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now