Small umbilical hernia in Shih Tzu pup ... anyone?

(6 Posts)
Dieu Sat 13-Jun-15 15:23:12

Hi everyone. First time on 'Doghouse'. We have been thinking of getting a dog for months, nay years, and after doing exhaustive research on the matter, have finally settled on the Shih Tzu as our breed of choice. I'm in Scotland and have tracked down what I'm satisfied is a good, responsible breeder. She has one ST pup left, a boy, and he has a small umbilical hernia which the vet believes will just heal over on its own. He wouldn't be breeding material because of his wee cosmetic flaw, but this wouldn't bother me! This means that the breeder will sell him at a slightly discounted price. Does anyone have any experience of this type of hernia in dogs (apparently fairly common in this breed), and if it's likely to prove problematic with pet insurance, etc? Not sure how worried or put off I should be by it, if at all. Thanks very much in advance for your help.

YouveCatToBeKittenMe Sat 13-Jun-15 15:38:54

It is quite common and doesn't usually cause any problem. If you mention it to your vet they can correct it at the same time as he is castrated if it is still there then. As castration isn't usually covered by insurance anyway the hernia repair will only add a little to the price and he won't need a separate anaesthetic.
Enjoy your pup, I have a shih tzu cross and he is lovely

notapizzaeater Sat 13-Jun-15 15:40:56

Our (big) dog had One if these. Didn't cause any problems and we had it "fixed" when he went in for the chop.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 13-Jun-15 15:44:33

My cavachon had a small'ish hernia as a pup. Never caused her any problems and it seems to have gone now. She's nearly a year old.

SistersofPercy Sun 14-Jun-15 00:08:56

Mums shih tzu has an umbilical hernia. The vet said it was causing no issues and ignore it. Vet said it wasn't worth messing with when he went in for castration.
He's almost three now and it's virtually gone.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 14-Jun-15 08:55:59

Whilst the hernial ring there is potential of very serious problems including bowel getting caught which could require emergency surgery, but this is very rare.
In the vast majority of puppies the hernial ring closes before they are 6 months of age, where it does close it is recommended to close at neutering to prevent the risk of complications.
Often when closed there is a small piece of fat caught under the skin which shows as a little bump under the skin thus is not a problem as long as it is not hot, tender, red, swollen or painful to touch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now