Talk

Advanced search

Quick cone of shame query

(5 Posts)
tobee Sat 13-Jun-15 14:20:31

Hi. My 10 month old dog came away from vets last Saturday with cone of shame on because of a sore paw and pulled out claw. He's been on antibiotics and having salt paw baths.

We could take the cone off from yesterday but he immediately started licking paw so we straightaway put the cone on again. Was this correct procedure?

He has vet check up on Tuesday

YouveCatToBeKittenMe Sat 13-Jun-15 15:43:41

I would leave it on till Tuesday. He's bound to lick at it as soon as it comes off because he's not been able to get to it. Maybe after his check up you could leave it off whilst you're with him and distract him from licking but still use it when he's left alone, just until he stops the licking.

tobee Sat 13-Jun-15 15:53:33

Thanks! I'm just feeling sorry for him stuck in the cone, not being able to play properly. But will leave til Tuesday.

EasyToEatTiger Sat 13-Jun-15 18:59:33

They're awful aren't they! One of ours felt so deeply shamed by the cone that he wouldn't even eat liver treats. When he realised it wasn't so bad, he crashed and crashed around the house. The cone was no boundary to his pleasure!

tobee Sun 14-Jun-15 10:54:44

Yes, that's exactly right. We've come up with some new games but they're wearing a bit thin now. He loves chasing a ball on walks (no surprise ) but the vision restriction makes it a sad sight! He really gets frustrated that he can't co ordinate his paws and mouth, also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now