Do Dog Rocks work?!

(23 Posts)
Panicmode1 Fri 12-Jun-15 11:25:53

Have mixed reviews from friends but need to find a solution to the appalling damage DDog is doing to our (small) lawn. Does anyone have any tips or things to try?

JugglingLife Fri 12-Jun-15 11:30:07

Ours are banished from the lawn having absolutely trashed it, would love a solution too.

averylongtimeago Fri 12-Jun-15 11:48:12

If by dog rocks you mean those yellow lumps you put in their water bowl, can't say if they work or not [helpful] but my DF's lab ate it all in one go.

A chunk of pineapple a day in their dinner is supposed to work.

Panicmode1 Fri 12-Jun-15 11:50:11

Will try pineapple thank you. Have also heard putting cider vinegar (?) in their water works too, but not sure that makes the water very tasty!

(Yes, I did mean the yellow lumps - the pet shop told me to put them into a jug of water which you then use to fill the water bowl - I know you are supposed to leave them in the water bowl, but I have a golden retriever so I suspect she wouldn't leave them be either!)

SPARKLYSTARSHINESBRIGHT Fri 12-Jun-15 16:42:23

I use the black dog rocks (around £10 a pack - they last 2 months) and they do work. I only have a small female dog, weighs 9lbs, you do have to persevere and will see a difference in around 6 weeks. I'm quite picky about my garden/lawn and have definitely seen a difference. It takes a good couple of months for the burnt patches on your lawn to repair and then you will see a difference.

Fab41 Fri 12-Jun-15 16:49:45

Work well for my two border terriers, I have used them for years and have a lovely lawn!

bilbodog Fri 12-Jun-15 16:56:35

I've just started using the black rocks and it does seem to have made a difference. I have a male dog but the lawn is only small so gets weed on a lot!

TooOldForGlitter Fri 12-Jun-15 19:21:55

I considered these but worried about what my dog would be ingesting. He's trained to go on the soil and mostly does but when he goes on the grass we just use a watering can to water the spot where he's been, it dilutes it and saves the grass.

Mitzi50 Fri 12-Jun-15 19:28:42

Watching with interest Ddog 1 is ruining the lawn. I've had some companies in about the garden generally. To date suggestion are:

1. Fence off the lawn.
2. Replace lawn with artificial grass
3. Put down the plastic matting used in horse field gateways (grass grows through the matting).
4. Either give up on the lawn or Ddog

TooOldForGlitter Fri 12-Jun-15 19:43:42

If the dog only has access to the garden whilst supervised honestly just get a watering can and water where he/she has been. We got a water butt specifically to save on water bills for this purpose!

anniebear71 Fri 12-Jun-15 22:19:11

Our puppy only goes out in the garden supervised. We have sectioned off a concrete area outside the back door for her to. Wee etc, . But if she does wee on the grass we put water over it straight away. Hoping it works. I love my garden, spent a lot on it. Haven't heard of the rock things? By did wonder why the dog I walk for a friend had 2 small rocks in his water haha

anniebear71 Fri 12-Jun-15 22:21:04

How do the dog rocks work?

Panicmode1 Sun 14-Jun-15 13:06:14

Think they are supposed to neutralise the acid (?) in the urine which burns the grass, and I believe bitch urine is worse than dog, but am ready to stand corrected. I wonder if they work better on smaller dogs - my neighbour has a goldie too and said they didn't work. My 7 month pup is almost 30 kgs (already!) so maybe they are less efficient the bigger the dog......

pigsDOfly Sun 14-Jun-15 20:35:16

If they neutralise the acid in the urine I'm not sure how much I'd want to mess around with the contents of my dog's urine.

Surely it's made the way it is because that's the way that works best for the dog's kidneys iuswim. How much have the long term effects on dogs been tested.

Had a look at manufacturers' website, and it all seems a bit woo to me.

Need something to help my poor sad grass but I'm not sure these are the answer. Think training not to pee on the grass as pp said is probably the better option.

GemmaTeller Sun 14-Jun-15 20:40:13

Can't say they worked for my boxers.

We rent our house and have a big back lawn, boy boxers mostly toilets in the same area so we have decided to just replace that part of the lawn when we move next year.

anniebear71 Mon 15-Jun-15 09:53:41

Thanks

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Mon 15-Jun-15 12:16:40

A squirt of ketchup on ArseDog's food everyday seems to have solved the problem for us.

Panicmode1 Mon 15-Jun-15 12:27:33

Thats interesting RothSA - someone else mentioned that to me yesterday - will defo try it later!

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Mon 15-Jun-15 12:41:41

Actually, I think it may have been an MN tip that one!

Panicmode1 Mon 15-Jun-15 15:46:32

Do you put ketchup on both feeds or just one? (And how big a squirt? And does it have to be branded ketchup or will own brand work just as well? grin)

TheReturnoftheSmartArse Mon 15-Jun-15 16:19:21

I'm not wasting Heinz money on the dog! I just use own brand, and do a random squirt over his dinner. Absolutely no measuring involved! Does seem to work though.

SinclairSpectrum Mon 15-Jun-15 16:24:48

CSJ do a herbal supplement called Easy Peasy that I can vouch for. Costs about £13, lasts 3 months for a very big dog and is completely natural.

Panicmode1 Mon 15-Jun-15 18:07:05

Thanks Sinclair - I can find CSJ but not the product - can you post a link please in case I've got the wrong CSJ?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now