Talk

Advanced search

Puppy night time crying regression

(28 Posts)
WienerDiva Tue 09-Jun-15 04:36:05

I need your help please!

We got a puppy on the 3rd June and the first night was dreadful, (as to be expected). Second night a bit better and so on until tonight 8th June). This would be her 6th night and it's worse than her first!

Do pups have a night time settling regression thingy at all?

She is in a crate with her favourite snuggly toy and is always shattered before bed and let out to eliminate before hand too.

We have never gone down to her when she's crying and I'm pretty strict on myself about being consistent.

What on Earth can I do now?

Any advice gratefully received.

Humansatnav Tue 09-Jun-15 05:37:05

Ours took over a week to settle for 5 hours ish over night, and now at 6 months will happily sleep for nearly 8 hours overnight ( until he needs a wee.
How old is dpup ? Where does she sleep during the day ?

WienerDiva Tue 09-Jun-15 05:49:03

Hi Human,

Thank you so much for replying, in the day she sleep in her crate in the kitchen, which is where we put her at bed time?!

The night before last she was amazing, whined for about 2 minutes and didn't make a peep until I went downstairs. I just don't understand why last night was so bad. We've also had an Adaptil DAP thingy plugged in since before she arrived and a big blanket smelling of her Mum and litter mates.

She's really loud for a nearly 9 week old mini Daxie blush

Humansatnav Tue 09-Jun-15 05:57:16

Hang on in there, it does get better , although not everyone on these boards agree with leaving a puppy to cry , so you may get some interesting replies ! A couple of things that helped us were a small soft bed to snuggle into and we also covered the crate with a blanket to make it feel more den- like.

WienerDiva Tue 09-Jun-15 06:04:59

She's got both of those. I used to work in a vets but have never had a puppy before, I'm all good with the medical side, not the ownership side blush

I did ask around a couple of people what they did and told I had planned to leave her to cry and they said it was fine, so I took it as golden.

Hoping I don't get too flamed for it, I'm sure it's worse than having a newborn!

Humansatnav Tue 09-Jun-15 07:28:48

It is worse Diva, but passes much more quicklywink

WienerDiva Tue 09-Jun-15 08:01:34

Glad it's not just me who thinks that then! Thanks for your help Human, much appreciated wink

Lilcamper Tue 09-Jun-15 08:44:00

Actually, the 'cry it out' theory is no longer recommended for pups, just like it isn't for babies anymore. It can set a pup up for separation issues.

What is recommended now is that you have the pup in a crate in the bedroom to start with so you can calmly reassure them when they stir. It's scary to be suddenly wrenched from your mum and littermates when they have been your whole life so far.

This also helps with house training, if they need to 'go' in the middle of the night, you can quickly pop them outside.

WienerDiva Tue 09-Jun-15 08:59:32

Thanks Lil, I'll definitely consider and chat to DH, I really don't think he'll be keen to try that though.

Collaborate Tue 09-Jun-15 09:12:41

If she's very young she'll need to toilet frequently through the night. How often are you getting up to let her out to toilet? If you're not doing that, she'll cry.

WienerDiva Tue 09-Jun-15 09:17:09

I'm getting up twice and not opening the door of her crate until she's quite. I don't want her to think that I'll open the door because of her crying.

Lilcamper Tue 09-Jun-15 09:34:16

She isn't crying because she wants your attention, she is crying because her needs aren't being met and she is distressed. Making her wait til she is quiet really isn't fair. you need to go to her and see to her before she gets distressed enough to start crying.

There is where having her in the room with you comes in handy, you will hear her start to shir and can get to her before she gets distressed.

Lilcamper Tue 09-Jun-15 09:34:42

stir

Collaborate Tue 09-Jun-15 10:34:43

With our pup I got up regularly through the night to toilet her. I didn't wait until she cried. Perhaps she's starting to associate being in the crate with the unpleasantness of needing the toilet but not being able to go.

basildonbond Tue 09-Jun-15 11:15:34

Our puppy was never in our bedroom, but we didn't leave him to cry either

For the first week we took it in turns to sleep in the sofa in the kitchen next to his crate

The first night he woke twice, the next two nights it was once, after that he stirred a bit but went straight back to sleep with a bit of comforting murmuring from whoever was on duty and by the end of the first week he was sleeping through to about 6

Over the next few weeks/months he gradually stretched out his nighttime sleep and now we don't hear a peep out of him until we go downstairs- 6:30 in the week, closer to 8/8:30 at weekends

He's always been happy to be left on his own and has never shown any sign of distress

WienerDiva Tue 09-Jun-15 11:23:03

Thank you for replying everyone. I may just get the blow up bed out as I'd worry that I wouldn't hear her in time as in rather hard of hearing.

But getting up for eliminations is something that I can definitely do.

So far this morning she's had a massive playtime and toilet trip and is currently quiet in her crate while I get dressed.

Small miracles smile

Butterflowers Tue 09-Jun-15 18:36:45

My puppy sleeps in the kitchen and we leave the radio on for him. He had a hot water bottle for the first week too. Luckily he only cried for a couple of nights and now will sometimes take himself off to bed at night.

WienerDiva Tue 09-Jun-15 20:41:31

Thanks all, I've put together a routine for pup that schedule in loo breaks for her a bit more efficiently that me just relying her to sniff around. It's not too reliable anyway, she's a hound, she's constantly sniffing!

I'll see how we get on tonight, but I really am grateful for the advice received!

Humansatnav Tue 09-Jun-15 22:13:47

Fingers crossed for tonight smile

dotdotdotmustdash Tue 09-Jun-15 23:59:58

I would no more leave a small pup to cry in distress all night than I would leave a young baby. This is 2015, dog psychology has moved on it's recognised that young and vulnerable mammals need the physical and psychological security of carers nearby to prevent them feeling helpless and threatened. Take her into your room or be prepared to sleep beside her until she's old enough not to need it.

WienerDiva Wed 10-Jun-15 12:02:20

Have spoken at length with DH and he's agreed we can put pup in the bedroom. We've decided to keep her crated at bedtime but in the same room as us. This way I can wake if she needs the loo. We didn't do it last night because my dd had preschool today and she had already been woken by pup the night before, but will do it from this evening so if she is disturbed it doesn't matter too much and she can have a lie in.

Thank you all for your help smile

Collaborate Wed 10-Jun-15 14:04:49

I would still try and pre empt her toileting cries and take her outside at regular intervals (say every 3 hours) during the night.

WienerDiva Wed 10-Jun-15 19:46:11

That's the plan for having her upstairs. I'm rather hard of hearing but a freakishly light sleeper so I should be able to get to her in time for taking her outside. DH seems rather on board considering he was so adamant no dogs were to go upstairs!

WienerDiva Thu 11-Jun-15 07:54:13

Just thought I'd give the kind people who replied an updated.

Last night was SO much better. She slept next to my bed from 2am (fell asleep on the sofa with her waiting for dh to come home), took her out for a wee and put her in her crate next to me. She whined a little but every time she stopped I gave her a treat, 5 treats later she fell asleep!

Ultimately I still want her downstairs but I'll get her completely dry overnight first and slowly move her down.

Thank you all for your help!

Collaborate Thu 11-Jun-15 08:22:30

Yay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now