Talk

Advanced search

Think we may have foxes visiting the garden

(6 Posts)
tiredandgrumpy Mon 08-Jun-15 17:43:26

Is this a problem when we bring our new puppy home? I've never seen or heard them, so am not concerned about them being around outside when we are, but if I have a pup who isn't yet allowed out into public areas because of jabs, does that also mean that the garden should be out of bounds? (And if so, argh!) What on earth will I do about house training, fresh air and play etc?
Complete novice here. Am I fussing?

nellieellie Fri 12-Jun-15 14:27:55

If I were you, I wouldn't worry. There are loads of rural and urban foxes about these days, and I don't think vets ever mention them as a concern. We have foxes, and a badger. The badger could be of more concern I think, because of TB, but when we got our little pup we let him out in the garden. That said, if you see fox poop about, may be worth clearing it up so your pup doesn't come into contact with it. It's more important that your pup gets to see as much of the world and people as possible in the first 13 weeks. I even let mine have doggie visitors as long as they were vaccinated and well. The vet agreed to this too. Has meant my dog is not afraid of, or aggressive to any other dog.

pigsDOfly Fri 12-Jun-15 19:26:19

I was told by my vet not to let my dog into the garden when I first got her as a puppy in case foxes had been in the garden.

Our garden was completely enclosed and it was impossible for them to get in so in our case it wasn't a problem.

If you're not going to let your small puppy walk on the ground because of possible contact with dogs that haven't had their jabs it certainly wouldn't seem to be a good idea to let them run where possibly diseased ridden foxes have been.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 12-Jun-15 20:17:50

Foxes carry canine parvovirus and lungworm which can be deadly to small puppies. I wouldn't take the risk personally.

nellieellie Sat 13-Jun-15 15:26:35

I'd personally be more worried about being unable to housetrain my dog, and have to confine him to house or in arms outings for 5 weeks! Guess you have to make a call. Maybe ask your vet? The reality is people get pups when they already have adult dogs that go outside regularly mixing with other dogs. People walk into the house after walking on possibly infected pavements and parks.

daisydotandgertie Sat 13-Jun-15 21:58:27

If there is physical evidence of a fox visiting, then yes, talk to the vet although tbh if it were me, unless the garden is riddled with fox poo, I would ignore it.

If it is just a suspicion that foxes pass through the garden, then no. The risk is very low and as you'll be with the pup at all times when he is outside, you can keep an eye on where he is and what he's doing.

A tiny pup is not going to willingly spend time outside by himself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now