How long for pad injuries to heal?

(4 Posts)
basildonbond Mon 08-Jun-15 07:52:50

Ddog stepped on a piece of glass and got a really nasty cut on his pad last week. He lost quite a bit of blood and needed a general anaesthetic to get it cleaned out and stitched up. He's only allowed short lead walks and wears a sock when he's out but it's left undressed at home.

He's back to the vet on Wednesday and I was hoping to get the go-ahead for normal exercise as he is fizzing with pent-up energy (he is a 22 month old Toller so normally extremely active). However looking at it this morning the cut is still not healed sad

How long do these things normally take and is there anything we can do to speed up the recovery process?

Ps. We are giving him kongs, scattering his food in the garden, doing extra bits of training etc but he's obviously bored and is starting to do things we thought we'd trained out of him months ago ...

tabulahrasa Mon 08-Jun-15 08:11:15

Not a vet...but I'd expect at least a couple of weeks for something that needed stitches on a pad.

When mine was on cage rest I taught him the names of toys because it's limited only by the amount of toys and while on house rest (he's got various health issues but he's young, so doesn't think he should rest) I did scentwork and taught him to do things like empty the washing machine so he could be busy while I was getting on with other things - I know you said you were doing extra training, but scentwork particularly is good for bored dogs.

basildonbond Mon 08-Jun-15 08:56:41

Thanks tabulah- I'm going to take him to sit on a park bench for a while for a change of scene and try some scent work later

LimeJellyHead Mon 08-Jun-15 19:27:56

I think it will take quite some time. The more he uses his feet in any weight bearing way, the slower healing would be. Think up some static brain games too smile

Best of luck. Sounds like a nasty injury. Hope he will soon be back to normal and won't open it up again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now