Talk

Advanced search

Ifpuppy becomes ill very soon after arrival in a home does that mean that all was not as it should have been in the home where it was born or is it just one of those things that happens?

(8 Posts)
Northernlurker Sun 07-Jun-15 20:47:00

Somebody I know got a puppy which almost immediately became very ill with an infection. Puppy is very cute. I am worried they may have inadvertently bought from a puppy farmer. Is this just something that can happen in even the best of circumstances?

TheoriginalLEM Sun 07-Jun-15 20:51:08

What infection is it? WAs the dog vaccinated against parvo-virus before she got it? Was it just that the pup became poorly that you are suspicious or something else/as well?

It can happen - my DD bought a cat from a pet shop (i was NOT impressed but its up to her) and it developed a diarroeah and i was thinking, uh oh, here we go, but it was just a change of food that was rectified quickly.

Pups will be vulnerable and it could be co-incidence, has your friend told the breeder? as the other litter mates could be at risk.

Northernlurker Sun 07-Jun-15 20:56:23

I don't know about vaccination. I know other jabs have been delayed as a result so I think it was more than unsettled tummy. Tbh the thing that makes me suspicious is the type of puppy that it is. Think total classic puppy beauty - so ripe for exploitation - and from a reputable breeder very, very expensive. I would have thought beyond their means.

bakingtins Sun 07-Jun-15 20:56:35

I think whether the breeder gives a shiny shite when informed will be illuminating.
Transferring to a new home is stressful, pups have an immature immune system, it could happen to a pup from a very good breeder. Throw in over breeding, overcrowding, mixing litters, shuttling puppies about to people posing as their breeder....it's almost inevitable.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 07-Jun-15 21:15:54

An upset tummy is enough to delay vaccination. Bakingtins is ribght though, i think the breeder reaction is key.

How do you want to help your friend? in terms of advice? legal position?

TummyButtonFluff Tue 09-Jun-15 10:25:43

Our pup had a couple of problems and vet said it was just as a child would catch things.

EdwinaLIzzard Tue 09-Jun-15 10:42:08

Your friend needs to contact the breeder, and take the puppy to a vet.

It can be very stressful for a pup to leave its litter and the strange new environment, change of food, volumes etc can cause diarrhoea, vomiting and general unwellness.

I agree that the response of the breeder will be very telling

daisydotandgertie Tue 09-Jun-15 12:51:38

How old's the pup? What's the infection or what are the symptoms? How long has the new owner had it and has it had a vet check at any point or any vaccs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now