Talk

Advanced search

Dog jealous of baby

(7 Posts)
ParsleyCake Sun 07-Jun-15 19:31:42

We have a young baby and have recently enquired about adopting a dog. The previous owners aparently are getting rid of the dog because it's jealous of THEIR baby. To me this sounds like the fault of the owners for not introducing the dog and baby properly and failing to pay enough attention to a dog that was probably babied intially itsslf rather than being treated like a dog.

Once I heard why the previous owners are getting rid of the dog, I was wary as we have a baby too. However, do you think this might just be a case of introducing the dog and baby properly? Is this a problem that would carry over to our own situation? Would I be stupid to give this a try? My partner worka with dogs and so is excellent with dog psychology so I wonder if the right approach is simply the key.

Millipedewithherfeetup Sun 07-Jun-15 19:39:53

It would be a no brainer for me, no way would i bring an animal into my home with behaviour problems whilst i had a young baby or child there too.

timeforacheckup Sun 07-Jun-15 19:48:29

It might be fine but there is no way on this earth that I would take that risk - could you live with yourself if something did happen?

villainousbroodmare Sun 07-Jun-15 19:53:06

Who knows the true story? but I'd guess that dog might be happier in a babyless household and it's not worth the risk to your child IMO.
Surely a pooch with no 'previous' would be a more sensible choice?

ParsleyCake Sun 07-Jun-15 19:59:21

To be honest it never crossd my mind that the dog might be vicious. I feel silly now. Of course I would never risk my baby. I think it's best not to try this.

tinymeteor Sun 07-Jun-15 20:06:05

This may be a lovely dog in the right home but it is 100% the wrong dog for your circumstances.

BirdyArms Sun 07-Jun-15 20:49:54

Definitely definitely not. There are plenty of dogs out there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now