Talk

Advanced search

My dog is scared of the sitting room

(6 Posts)
ClaraSilver Sun 07-Jun-15 13:24:01

Hi, new here - this is my first post and it's a bit of a strange problem but my dog is afraid of the sitting room.

She's a rescue saluki/whippet, just over one year old and was found abandoned with her siblings at 4 weeks old (one sadly had passed away). She'll occasionally come in the lounge and sit on the sofa or look out the window but can suddenly look as if something has frightened her and then she'll leave the room quickly. She sometimes plays with our other dog in here and is quite happy for a bit but then will run out looking scared. Often she won't come in at all. We've had her since 16 weeks and although I didn't really notice at first, it's always been a slight issue. I hoped it would get better but doesn't seem to be.

I haven't heard any loud noises or anything else that might frighten her and I'm a bit at a loss.

Thanks smile

dancemom Sun 07-Jun-15 13:29:57

Could it be sun coming through the window? A shadow? A creaking floorboard? A chiming clock?

Mrsjayy Sun 07-Jun-15 13:30:04

Aww bless her I dont know really maybe she is wary of your other dog perhaps sees it as their place where does she usually when she is out the living room

ClaraSilver Sun 07-Jun-15 21:19:14

She seems to look up when she's spooked, but there doesn't seem to be anything consistent that I can pin it on. Can be day or night. Don't think it's the other dog because when she is happy to come in here, it's not unusual for her to jump up onto the sofa and sit on the other dog!

She stays in the breakfast room on her own which seems a shame. Not sure what I can do although I might keep some tasty treats for her in here so she gets one when she does come in. It's a plan smile

Thanks.

honeyroar Mon 08-Jun-15 11:17:33

My dad's cat went like that overnight. He'd previously been fine in the room for years. We think it was the noise that we couldn't hear from the digital recorder box. Could it be something like that?

Mrsjayy Mon 08-Jun-15 12:22:13

id imagine she is a sensitive soul she has probably heard a noise early on and thats been it scary room ! put a bed for her near a door during the day so she can settle. My windows creak my dog used to slink out when they did just up and leave the room took him nearly 2 years to get used to it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now