Talk

Advanced search

Dogs and newborn babies

(14 Posts)
muddymary Sun 07-Jun-15 09:03:35

Hi I'm just after someone who can put my mind at rest really.
I'm due to have a baby fairly soon. Not my first child but my first since we got our gorgeous dog about a year and a half ago. Now I'm the first to admit that I'm besotted with ddog and I've been doing a lot of research about introducing her to the new baby etc.
One thing that's really worrying me is the amount of people who've said my feelings towards the pup will change once the baby arrives. I do know quite a lot of people who've rehomed their dogs after starting a family and the general consensus seems to be that once you have a baby, you begin to see your dog as less of a family member and it becomes more of a nuisance.
Don't get me wrong, there's no way I'd rehome unless ddog became aggressive - which is highly unlikely. I'm just really worried that my feelings towards her will change. I blame pregnancy hormones for this but the other day I was looking on Gumtree at all of the older dogs for sale for £70/£80 due to 'change in circumstances ' and the thought of it happening to her made me cry - much to dh's amusement.
I suppose what I'm after is just for someone to reassure me that it's not inevitable that I'll start to resent my dog once the baby arrives!

villainousbroodmare Sun 07-Jun-15 09:11:51

I'm in the same position and cannot visualise "going off" my gorgeous and beloved dog. I do know a few people who I reckon were almost seeking an excuse not to bother with their pets and found it in the arrival of a baby. So I'd say don't worry and get a great sling or overland buggy so you can walk with DDog and DBaba together.

tabulahrasa Sun 07-Jun-15 10:22:26

I had the odd half hour when my DC were babies where I did think about rehoming the dog, or the baby...lol.

You're shorter on time and definitely for the first few weeks your focus isn't on the dog in the same way because you've got a new baby, but no I never felt any differently towards the dog.

I think that people who do either weren't that fussed about their dog to start with or their dog was a baby substitute.

BanKimoon Sun 07-Jun-15 10:29:26

I won't lie, ddog is an inconvenience sometimes now we have DS, but I still love him to bits!! He's part of the family (a needy and annoying one at times) and we wouldn't be without him. He's had to adapt to a change in lifestyle too and no longer gets 2 long walks a day but spends more time pottering around after us during the week, but we're all doing well. If you love your pooch and see her as a lifelong commitment and member of the family then that won't change! Good luck!

muddymary Sun 07-Jun-15 12:01:21

Thanks for your replies.I love her to bits so really can't imagine seeing her as 'just a dog' so it's nice to know that it's not inevitable! I've already got a sling and I'm really looking forward to lots of nice walks with the pup and the baby. She's currently in the kitchen for bad behaviour though which isn't like her at all!!

lavendersun Sun 07-Jun-15 14:05:35

It will all be fine OP, I think exactly the same of my animals now as did pre DC. Of course you will be cautious in the beginning - that is natural.

In fact I looked outside this morning to see the sweetest picture. My dog has been DD's friend since she was able to move - see profile photos.

She is such a lovely dog. DD went outside to read, the dog was in a different part of the garden but found her within a few mins.

LeChien Sun 07-Jun-15 14:10:02

I went right off my dog when my youngest was born. For a few months I didn't want her near me, near the baby.
I carried on doing everything I did before, but without the emotion, I was just doing it automatically.
I could have easily re homed her during those months, which I feel awful about now.
It does happen sometimes, but it doesn't last forever.

BagelwithButter Sun 07-Jun-15 18:03:48

I would suggest making some enquiries about dog walkers and/or doggy day care for a week it two after your due date.

Then you can be relaxed that at least that aspect will be taken of. There is enough physical and mental tiredness after having a baby, I don't think i׳d want to have to take the dog out for at least a week after having a baby.

Pumpeedo Sun 07-Jun-15 18:07:43

It depends if the dog is still in puppy mode. I found my relationship with my husband's puppies deteriorated after finding my breastpump chewed to buggery, baby's toys chewed, dirty nappies ripped out of the bin and half eaten, . . .

mygrandchildrenrock Sun 07-Jun-15 18:19:27

I think it's just like having a baby when you have a toddler, your toddler might be a bit rough/aggressive towards the new baby and there will be days that are hard, but you wouldn't re-home a toddler, however much you might want to! grin

DueInFebruary Sun 07-Jun-15 18:19:47

I was really worried about this when dd was due in February, but in fact having ddog helped to keep some form of normality. Even when we were absolutely exhausted and wanted to just hide at home, we would get dressed out dd in her pram and get some fresh air and when we got back you feel almost refreshed. Ddog still enjoys her cuddles on the sofa, her treats after shopping and dad will grow up with a lifelong friend. if you truly love your dog now you find ways to keep going. Good luck with everything and make the most of it

DueInFebruary Sun 07-Jun-15 18:20:23

Dd not dad!

tabulahrasa Sun 07-Jun-15 18:33:50

It's very much like having a baby when you already have a toddler, actually unless it's a very demanding dog not as bad as a toddler, lol.

I did walk the dog with a baby, but, often I waited until later on and I could run away and leave the baby with my DP when he got in, it was a nice break tbh.

lavendersun Sun 07-Jun-15 19:05:28

My lab was 9 months when DD was born - we all walked together, for miles. I didn't have a choice as DH went away for ten months - after the first three weeks home from hosp we were off.

Every dog, mum and baby is different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now