Talk

Advanced search

Yesterday I met a South African Boerboel - OMG!

(28 Posts)
BewilderedAndAngry Sun 07-Jun-15 08:56:18

The largest flipping dog I've ever been close up to - and I used to be good friends with a neighbour's Great Dane.

The size of the thing, the sheer bulk, the massive head shock

I like larger dog breeds, think labrador, retriever, gun dogs etc, I own a greyhound, but that was just a bit much. I can totally see how they were used to fight lions off.

My own --wussy- grey stopped in his tracks and just stared grin

Want2bSupermum Sun 07-Jun-15 09:04:00

OMG that dog is huge! I would hate to be picking up its poop. Must be a two bagger every single time.

BewilderedAndAngry Sun 07-Jun-15 09:05:43

grin

You're right - I hadn't even thought about that aspect of it.

And it must need half a cow to eat every day, I'd've thought!

mmmuffins Sun 07-Jun-15 09:07:28

OMG that photo!

BewilderedAndAngry Sun 07-Jun-15 09:09:03

I should clarify, the woman in the photo is not me, it's a google images stock photo, but the size of the mutt is about right.

Timeforabiscuit Sun 07-Jun-15 09:09:33

Oh
My
God

I think I love him grin

BewilderedAndAngry Sun 07-Jun-15 09:10:46

All of him, Time? grin

He was very friendly and his owner told me all about him.

I think we'd have to move house to accommodate a horse dog the size of him.

musicalendorphins2 Sun 07-Jun-15 09:55:50

He is as big as a bear! He's gorgeous but the poo aspect is daunting. I would feel safe walking anywhere though!

pigsDOfly Sun 07-Jun-15 12:47:13

I bet he needs a hell of a lot of walking too. Although, if you got tired on very long walks he could probably carry you home.

Not really practical for the average suburban household I would think.

Poo aspect would definitely put me off.

Collaborate Sun 07-Jun-15 18:56:38

That's not a 2 bagger. That's a bin bag and a shovel!

villainousbroodmare Sun 07-Jun-15 19:02:09

They are lovely and usually very gentle but people tend to cross the road to get away from you when you walk with them. That was a novel and and not so nice feeling for me as I'm used to walking the sort of dog that makes passersby smile.
They don't really need a phenomenal amount of walking but do need lots of flopping about space.

dillite Mon 08-Jun-15 10:36:34

How on earth do you even control something that huge? Surely if it decides to chase something you will end up without an arm? And no sleeping on ones lap for a doggie that big, that's for sure.

SistersofPercy Mon 08-Jun-15 14:01:31

Bloody hell! And I have issues with Murph lying on top of me!!

DD came in from a walk with Murph telling me they had met a Sloughi. My first question was 'whats that a cross breed of?' I'd never heard of them at all.

Between Sloughi's and Boerboel's I've now learned two new dog breeds this week.

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Mon 08-Jun-15 14:05:20

Isn't he/she lovely Looking though. Must have a bark like a bomb going off too!

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Mon 08-Jun-15 14:07:18

I'm fact if I had one of those I could change my user name to MyDogIsABiggerBastardThanEverybody

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Mon 08-Jun-15 14:07:49

In not I'm!

MargotLovedTom Mon 08-Jun-15 14:08:46

Good God, it's like Honey I Blew Up The Mastiff. Not my favoured sort of dog at all tbh, imagine the slobber! Our goldie is big but he'd look like a whippet compared to that beast.

DrElizabethPlimpton Mon 08-Jun-15 14:14:35

I have no idea how my lab would cope meeting one of those beautiful dogs. She wee'd herself the first time she met a Great Dane though she is fine with them now. grin

lilacblossomtime Mon 08-Jun-15 19:15:33

Last time my dog met a Great Dane it was scared of her! She is a very soppy, elderly Lab so it was quite funny.

Lucy61 Mon 08-Jun-15 19:19:22

Do they come with a saddle?!shock

mrslaughan Mon 08-Jun-15 19:42:49

Generally these big build dogs need less exercise than a smaller fog, like a terrier or any of the spaniels..... The amount of walking required does not increase with the size of the dog., the amountof exercise is dependent on the what the breed has been bred for, a dog like that I had not been bred to 'work' probably more sit and scare people off.

Theas18 Mon 08-Jun-15 19:44:51

Dh says is it a very small person?

HookedOnHooking Mon 08-Jun-15 19:48:20

Cor. Biggy is a big boy but that is Big. Lovely. I'd need another sofa.

HookedOnHooking Mon 08-Jun-15 19:50:01

Biggy foesn't need much walking. He's built for lying around under an olive tree with very occasional bursts of running after wolves. When I make him do more than half an hour walk he stops and refuses to go further.

fuckweasel Mon 08-Jun-15 19:50:10

They are gorgeous. Met one in a hotel in Namibia and she was their guard dog. She would sneak into my room for (big) cuddles. Gentle as anything (until someone came to the gate!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now