Talk

Advanced search

Explain protein content of dog foods to me please

(4 Posts)
BewilderedAndAngry Sat 06-Jun-15 22:29:37

Or rather why should greyhounds have food with max. 20% protein??

I am looking at Millie Wolfheart and most of the foods have protein in the high 20s% which I'd've thought would be desirable, but apparently not for greys? confused

We are trying to get some weight on our newly adopted hound and have found that if we feed more his motions just get soft. His condition is great, coat looks good, he is full of energy, but those pin bones still stick out.

He is getting extra egg, sardines, pasta, treats etc etc, so am not looking at general weight gain advice, but does anybody know about the protein? Is it to do with renal function or something??

TIA.

StarsInTheNightSky Sat 06-Jun-15 22:37:27

As far as I know its to do with building muscle mass, so not desirable for greyhounds as they need to be ballet dancers not body builders, if that makes sense. We have Caucasian Ovcharkas and so fed them loads of high protein high fat food when they were puppies (mostly raw meat and quite a lot of veggies) to ensure they put on enough muscle to support their growth. Hope that helps a bit, or that someone who knows more comes along soon!

villainousbroodmare Sun 07-Jun-15 00:07:12

An adult dog who is not in hard work, pregnant, lactating or recovering from injury needs no more than 20% dietary protein (but bear in mind that 20% CRUDE protein is not 20% protein as it is not all digestible.)
Just choose a really good quality commercial food and don't add anything to it. Bear in mind that greyhounds ARE bony, that this is especially the case when they are older and out of training, and that if energy levels and coat seem good then all is likely to be well.
A dog's natural diet would consist of a much higher % of protein but it's not necessary. Kidneys are well able to cope with protein, though.
If you are trying to cover up pointy bones with a layer of fat, then increasing dietary fat or carbohydrate would be the way to do so.
Re Ovcharkas, be awfully careful about feeding large breed puppies. Excess protein and fat as well as excess calcium cause rapid growth and weight gain and predispose to a lifetime of potentially very serious orthopaedic problems. A high quality commercial large/giant breed puppy food designed to allow skeletal maturation to balance weight gain will always be the best.

BewilderedAndAngry Sun 07-Jun-15 07:14:48

Thank you both smile

He is on a puppy food just now as recommended by the vet.

He is an active and young dog and will chase a ball all day (nobody told him that he's a greyhound apparently wink).
He arrived at ours at his 'racing weight' although he never raced and is a bit underweight, even for a grey (every rib showing, every vertebra and pin bones+a bit of pelvic bone).
I think we'll just persevere although I am quite tempted to try Raw...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now