Worried about DDog

(6 Posts)
Asleeponasunbeam Sat 06-Jun-15 20:58:56

Can't get to the vets tonight.

4 year old springer had an injury 3.5 weeks ago. Badly tore the skin on a back leg. Emergency vet overnight, lots of stitches. Antibiotics and painkillers for a few days and seemed recovered. Stitches out 2 weeks ago. Normal exercise resumed.

Nice walk in the woods today, if a springer can ever have a 'walk'. Seemed his usual self. Tonight he has been very strange. Went to his bowl to eat his dinner, then stuck tail between legs, whimpered and looked at his wound site, ran back to bed. Repeated this sequence for a while. I had metacam left so gave him a dose.

It's been an hour or so now and he's managed his dinner and is now sleeping on the sofa. The wound site is still pink, red in places. I'll put his suit on tonight to stop him bothering it (alternative to the cone he hated) but I am worried.

I'll obviously take him to the vets tomorrow, but any thoughts in the meantime? I'm assuming infection of some kind? Or maybe I let him do too much in the woods?

GillynMilly Sat 06-Jun-15 22:44:27

Hi, my thoughts would be infection,scar tissue or over stretched with exercise or has something knocked it/scratched itwhile out,thorn? That kind of thing? Worth having a close look if you can,for anything in or near the wound site? Good luck

lilacblossomtime Sat 06-Jun-15 22:52:44

Sounds like it will be ok till morning as no visible swelling or bleeding. I would take him in morning but keep an eye on him.

lilacblossomtime Sun 07-Jun-15 12:14:27

Hope he is a bit better today. What did the vet say?

Asleeponasunbeam Sun 07-Jun-15 16:27:43

Thanks. Lots of fluid under the scar so infected. Antibiotics and sympathy.

lilacblossomtime Sun 07-Jun-15 23:10:03

Aw poor boy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now