Talk

Advanced search

Miniature poodles

(17 Posts)
hooplahoop Sat 06-Jun-15 17:09:15

Hi,

Very early days of thinking about getting a miniature poodles. Read lots of positive things about them on here. My question is, if they are so wonderful, why do people get cross breeds instead?

Thanks for your time

basildonbond Sat 06-Jun-15 17:19:29

Partly because there are so many of them around ... Poodles became very unfashionable because they were associated with silly haircuts and got the reputation of being rather prissy dogs owned by little old ladies

landoflove Sat 06-Jun-15 18:08:25

We have recently rehomed a miniature poodle from a family that realised that having a dog wasn't for them. He is wonderful! He is clever and willing to please, affectionate and has loads of character. I have never had a poodle before (always had collies until now) but have always had a hankering for one. I can't imagine not having a Poodle now.

Ours won't ever have a showy poodle clip but does needs regularly grooming to remove the mud, sand etc. He isn't in anyway prissy!

Have you considered a rescue? I can recommend contacting Poodles in Need. They have been really helpful and gave me loads of good advice even though my Poodle wasn't from them.

hooplahoop Sat 06-Jun-15 18:11:57

That's great advice thanks. Will contact them.

Pinkandpurplehairedlady Sat 06-Jun-15 18:16:50

We have a miniature poodle and he's great! He's very clever and affectionate. I second the need for regular grooming sessions and brushing to avoid matts, ours has a haircut every 6 weeks or so and baths in between (due to his love of rolling in fox poo).

AliceInSandwichLand Sat 06-Jun-15 18:28:18

I have two. One is a nice but dim sweetheart who is very easygoing and affectionate. The other would be managing director of a large company if she were human - very clever indeed, would run rings round us if we let her, thinks she knows best, has killed several squirrels in her life (not something we encourage, obviously). They are both a bit cowardly about physical pain, but in no other way could be considered prissy at all, and are a very handy size. Lovely dogs, but if you get one like our bitch you will need to stay one step ahead or she will run the house for you. I think they have an unfair reputation because of the hairstyles and because they can take advantage of owners who let them - I know some that are difficult about being groomed, fussy about food etc. all this can be avoided if you just treat them as dogs! I think they are great dogs. Have a chat to some breeders and poodle rescue, and see what you think.

Yoruba Sat 06-Jun-15 19:27:39

We are also interested in getting a poodle or poodle cross.. Am not sure why people cross them either op. I've read that sometimes a first generation cross can be healthier? And some of the crosses are very cute - potentially it could just be a looks thing? That's just my opinion though as I've been wondering the same thing!

Anyone who has a mini poodle - what's their exercise requirements like?
Also - do they need to go to a professional dog groomer for clipping etc or can you do it yourself?

mrslaughan Sat 06-Jun-15 21:08:52

Why are there so many crossbreds? Because they are fashionable. The people who bred them do it for money, and I would say are very savvy at marketing there "brand" of dog, which people who by them fall for. Having said that I have never meet a designer crossbreed I don't like, but there are too many facts about the dodgy practices of some/many (but I am sure not all) of these breeders for me to say steer clear.

The other thing I don't understand is why spend so much (often more than a pedigree) on a doggy at you don't know what you getting... I know a labradoodle that looks like a funny whippet, poodle body, Labrador coat. If you don't care about looks and a predictable temperament, then offer a dog in a rescue a loving home and don't put money in the pockets of people who really don't care about the health and happiness of dogs.

ADishBestEatenCold Sat 06-Jun-15 21:16:00

Don't doodle with a poodle.

I know a few crossbreeds and they are often lovely. Have known quite a lot of poodles and they were always lovely! grin

Great breed.

mrslaughan Sat 06-Jun-15 21:21:01

Oh and one of my dogs bestest friends is a miniature poodle, he is a fab little dog. He needs an hour off lead , social doggy time and then he is a happy little dog (with companionship during the day). I walk him often for my friend, however I will be honest he is an intelligent little dog, and he often misses out on this exercise/stimulation and then he becomes neurotic, shadow chases etc. but then I have the most chilled dog, but if he missed it, he would probably be neurotic as well.

AliceInSandwichLand Sat 06-Jun-15 23:28:14

A reputable breeder of miniature poodles will have health testing done for prcd - a type of inherited eye disease - by blood test plus eye examination by a veterinary ophthalmologist, before mating. Very, very few doodle breeders will do anything similar. Overall, both crossbreed and purebred poodles are pretty healthy IME, but if getting a doodle you need to be very careful to avoid puppy farmers. This is true for any breed, but particularly for the designer crossbreeds. My poodles run hard off the lead for about 45 minutes a day, but would take far more exercise than that if I were up for it. They do agility training and are really good at it. I clip mine myself, but I am a pretty diehard dog person and it is quite a lot of work, and I had to be taught how to do it. Not many pet poodle owners do their own clipping, but of course if you do it's a huge saving financially, over the lifetime of the dog.HTH.

villainousbroodmare Sun 07-Jun-15 00:11:06

Great dogs. Tough, smart, clean, athletic, long-lived... win win win.

landoflove Sun 07-Jun-15 09:16:22

We did consider a poodle cross, we know a few and they are all lovely dogs, but after doing some research I was put off by the difficulty of finding reputable source (not many in rescues, dogs of choice for BYB/puppy farmers/those breeding for financial gain) and if you get a pup you can't be sure what they will look like as an adult (much variation in size, coat type and general appearance even within the same litter). Rescuing/ rehoming a pedigree poodle was definitely the right decision for us.

As for exercise and grooming. We are planning on 1-2 hours exercise a day when fully mature plus obedience/agility training each week. Regular brushing/combing and baths at home with a professional groom (£25) every 8-12 weeks.

hooplahoop Sun 07-Jun-15 21:10:16

Love don't doodle with a poodle smile

kelpeed Wed 10-Jun-15 11:38:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stareatthetvscreen Wed 10-Jun-15 11:45:19

yes nice dogs but omg the yapping.....one down the road just never stops

IsadoraQuagmire Wed 10-Jun-15 16:25:55

Poodle don't all yap, mine (toy, not miniature) didn't. He had a very deep bark which didn't really match his far-from-macho personality.
My cousin had a miniature poodle also, he didn't have a yappy bark either.
Both wonderful dogs.
(Not exactly relevant to this discussion, but the two "yappiest" dogs I've ever met are both Samoyeds!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now