Talk

Advanced search

Why the hell is he doing this?

(14 Posts)
TooOldForGlitter Sun 31-May-15 12:00:40

Yesterday afternoon my dog started displaying this weird, highly irritating behaviour. Standing at the back door to be let out, I let him out, he turns and stands at the door staring back inside. He did it a million times yesterday to the point I left the back door open. He's doing it again today, whining and whining to go out, I ignore him for ten minutes but he doesn't stop so I let him out. He turns and stands staring back in.

Its driving me nuts and I've no idea what's going on. Any ideas?

littleash789 Sun 31-May-15 12:18:51

Does he want you to come outside too, to play? My jrt does this too, is very annoying when you have things to be getting on with and you don't want to ignore in case he genuinely needs to go outside to toilet. If he doesn't want to play, it's sometimes that he wants back up to explore something, eg scary thing he doesn't want to do alone, like next door's cat. For a jrt he can be a real wuss some times! smile

How old is your dog?

TooOldForGlitter Sun 31-May-15 13:02:05

No its not play, he's not a player really. He doesn't want to be in the lounge. He'll stand in kitchen whining or run upstairs. Can only think something has scared him in lounge but he was sleeping in there fine until I got up. Am baffled.

TooOldForGlitter Sun 31-May-15 13:02:22

Oops, he's almost 6.

TooMuchRain Sun 31-May-15 13:04:36

Sounds like attention seeking - perhaps he wants a walk?

Mrsjayy Sun 31-May-15 13:08:00

You might have cats/hedgehogs/mice/babybirds in your garden so he is investigatng my dog is obsessed with under our shed atm he whines and lies down nose to the shed sniffing and whinging

TooOldForGlitter Sun 31-May-15 13:09:06

The more I'm watching it the more I'm seeing its stress. He's acting like he does when fireworks go off. Pacing panting whining. No explanation for it though.

chipsandpeas Sun 31-May-15 13:09:53

my dog even tho hes been neurtered still can get irritating when a lady dog is on heat he wants out then back in and repeat to i get pissed off and stop letting him out
might be something similar

Mrsjayy Sun 31-May-15 13:10:08

Something has spooked him in the living room spider maybe ? just leave the backdoor open and dont cause a fuss of him

TooOldForGlitter Sun 31-May-15 13:14:23

Do think something has scared him in front room but it's bizarre that he was fine until I got up.

Reluctant to leave back door open it's chucking down and cold!

Mrsjayy Sun 31-May-15 13:22:27

Aw is it my poor dog is a stressy dog i just leave him to come round on his own sit in the livingroom just to show him its fine and let him whinge you know he isnt needing the toilet so try and leave him

TooOldForGlitter Sun 31-May-15 14:25:50

Through the process of elimination we've figured it out. It's the noise my phone makes when I get a whatsapp message. The same noise it's made for 12 months....I he's such hard work sometimes. <sigh>

Mrsjayy Mon 01-Jun-15 08:54:25

Aww bless him daft dog grin

JohnCusacksWife Thu 04-Jun-15 19:45:48

My dog goes nuts at the Whatsapp noise too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now