Talk

Advanced search

Dog type- smallish, easy to train, calm, not too strong, up to 1 hr walk a day

(68 Posts)
Movingonmymind Sat 30-May-15 20:09:39

And yes, i know this doesn't make me the most dog-devoted potential owner in the world! But no apologies, i HAVE done my time over decades with tough causes - rescue dogs & cats. And now with a busy life, job, kids and small urban garden and a bad back i just would like an easy dog to offer a home to, not toy size but one which will not wreck my back further from constant tugging or be too yappy. One which the kids will love and feel is a bonus to their lives not a burden to walk. Not asking for perfection, just easy and reliable. Oh and we may get a cat at some point so that needs to be considered.

Am torn between getting a v carefully chosen rescue 6mths- 18mths to avoid the mad puppy stage but still fear its history could be an issue and training missed. Have been stalking all those rejoming websites- Dogstrust, Hungarian , spanish rescues etc. Or to grit my teeth and go for a pup from a KC registered breeder, something like a Miniature Schnauzer. Happy for advice please, but after research do not want a terrier/hound type, a collie, a bouncy spaniel, lurcher or a SBT or a bigger dog. Thanks.

WellyMummy Sat 30-May-15 20:20:41

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Known to be great family dogs. Need brushing, will walk for an hour or not, great with children. Not the most intelligent but capable of being trained. Very affectionate. Had them all my life, on numbers 7, 8 and 9 now, we have a Labrador too. DC are 8 and 5.

Bellaisnotmyname Sat 30-May-15 20:35:52

How about a dachshund? Lovely dogs!

Andrise Sat 30-May-15 20:43:49

Miniature poodles. Easiest dog I have ever owned by far. Bright, obedient, affectionate, interact well with children and other dogs and don't moult. Rubbish at fetching balls but you can't have everything! smile

NannyC123 Sat 30-May-15 20:44:48

Cannot recommend miniature schnauzers enough
We have 3 and they're the perfect dogs for us.
Small (but not too small), easy to train, ours only need two 20 min walks a day, good with children and other animals, very loving and easy dogs. They do like to bark at anyone who walks through the front door though, but generally, they're not a yappy type of dog.

BitOfFun Sat 30-May-15 20:45:42

Second vote for Cavaliers. The most sweet-natured dogs ever.

IamTheWhoreofBabylon Sat 30-May-15 20:49:14

Second vote for mini poodle. By far the easiest dog I have ever owned

sweetkitty Sat 30-May-15 20:52:21

Tibetan terrier, but larger than a Lhasa Apso very easy going and good natured

LaurieFairyCake Sat 30-May-15 20:52:48

Yes to King Charles spaniel

Or older Labrador

Apparently Corgis are basically hot water bottles

Movingonmymind Sat 30-May-15 20:54:05

Thanks! was dreading coming on to find lots of telling offs for being insifficirntly dog-focussed

Just to add, we will train future ddog, adore them, walk them etc just NEED an easy one, relstively speaking. I fear dh will be put off by the mere mention of the word "poodle" . And i also looked at cavaliers/cavachons but he thinks they're ugly sad This may take some time!

mrskeegs Sat 30-May-15 20:54:54

Vote for mini schnauzer. Love ours to bits. Hypoallergenic too.

LaurieFairyCake Sat 30-May-15 20:55:33

Greyhound

Loads of people say they're very chillaxed and lazy

Movingonmymind Sat 30-May-15 20:58:07

Love labs as do dc but then they rarely walk the dog but they're too big for me to walk (back wrecked) . Need to have a light, smallish dog with no fear of strong tugging ever.
Wondered about Tibetan Terriers as not true terriers, is that right? And not too big (she says hopefully?!)
Or chance it on a smallish mongrel with full history...

BestIsWest Sat 30-May-15 20:59:43

we have a mini Schnauzer, he's brilliant, great fun, adores everyone in the family and is devoted to us. He will be in the middle of us, whatever we're doing and if he can't be then he'll be with one of our possessions.

He will bark at anyone who comes to the door or passes by the house though.

Doesn't moult although the downside of this is that he needs regular trips to the groomer, although you could do this yourself. The beard is a bit of a pain as food gets caught in it.

Movingonmymind Sat 30-May-15 20:59:55

Heard about older greyhounds possibly fitting bill but how strong/heavy are they? Need 15 kilos absolute max..,

lighteningirl Sat 30-May-15 21:03:12

We have a Jack russel Chihuahua cross he is lovely very well behaved and has been easyish to housetrain he adores children too

Dismalfuckers Sat 30-May-15 21:04:14

Border terrier?

Movingonmymind Sat 30-May-15 21:04:44

Am being reassured anout schnauzers, thanks! Though just searched and found an old thread about how snappy athey were and awful off lead with other dogs?! but everything else I've read has been so positive!

Movingonmymind Sat 30-May-15 21:06:49

We may get a cat- have know 3 JRT over the years, one adorable. 2 v territorial, bit snappy but all hated and chased every cat they saw!

Missanneshirley Sat 30-May-15 21:12:41

whippet ?

CMOTDibbler Sat 30-May-15 21:14:01

A greyhound will weigh more than 15kg. But if you are open to a sighthound, then what about a whippet or whippet x? They are dinky, and fold up really small, plus they are real couch potatoes with a dislike of the cold/wet.

My younger lurcher is a whippet x, and is curled up next to me on the sofa atm. He never yaps (occasionally barks if someone else does), walks beautifully on the lead, adores ds, and lives very happily with our cats. Also no shedding or grooming issues. In fact his only flaws are toxic farts and being food obsessed.

Movingonmymind Sat 30-May-15 21:23:46

Wondered about whippets but how manageable are they on walks? And with cats?

CMOTDibbler Sat 30-May-15 21:36:29

Well, I often see a rather elderly lady in town with her two whippets - dh was chatting with her the other day and she was telling him that they'd like a third, but sheltered housing will only allow them two dogs - and she has no problem with two of them and her walking stick.

BestIsWest Sat 30-May-15 22:01:14

Our schnauzer is a bit nose obsessed so if we are out for a walk and he smells something he likes he can be a bit stubborn. He is ok with other dogs, not at all aggressive but justs want to sniff them generally.

NannyC123 Sat 30-May-15 22:01:41

Our schnauzers have never been snappy. The worst they've done is the typical puppy teething stage where they like to bite everything- but that's manageable. Ours are great with other dogs but they can get a bit distracted when off the lead and suffer from selective hearing. But if you train them when they're young you shouldn't have many problems smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now