Help! What would make my dog suddenly run off?

(8 Posts)
haggisaggis Wed 27-May-15 11:53:57

Dogwalker just texted - she was walking my dog with the others that he usually walks with when he suddenly took off across the field then along a farm track onto a main road. Luckily cars stopped and she got hold of him. But why would he do this? He has been with her at least 3 days a week since he was 12 weeks old - and he's nearly 2 now. He knows her well & her partner and the dogs he was with. They were walking in a familiar area. He is unneutered and did have a humping problem - but he had an injection from the vet so we could see if it would make any difference to his behaviour before we took the decision to get him done - and humping has stopped and certainly with us he is a lot more biddable. I'm in a bit of a panic - and really feel for her. He'll be kept on a lead with her from now on but would really like to know what could cause this. (back at the vet next week anyway so will also have a chat with him)

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Wed 27-May-15 11:59:33

Because he felt like it? Dogs are bit like people, sometimes they do odd things that make sense at the time, but in hindsight are really daft.

haggisaggis Wed 27-May-15 12:05:11

But to ignore them when they called him? It's not like him at all.

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 27-May-15 12:50:01

Chances are he got a scent of something - if he's not castrated possibly a girl in season (no idea how strong the injection is and if it would have stopped that!). I have labs and the only time they ignore me is when they smell something nice (usually dead).

How solid is his recall in general? Can you / the dog walker call him off distractions usually?

Chattymummyhere Wed 27-May-15 14:11:13

Because he felt like it.

Because he does not really like the other dogs/walker and has just put up with them.

Because his entire and he caught the scent of an in season bitch even dogs with the best recall will ignore it for an in season bitch.

There are many reason why he did it and it could be a one off or become a regular problem.

Taz1212 Wed 27-May-15 20:10:30

My dog did this about a month ago. He caught a fox scent coming out of the woods and that was him, nose down, right along the river path, up a grassy slope and across a road. Fortunately there were no cars at the time and a man in the other side caught him and held him while I came racing up behind.

He'd never done anything like that before and hasn't shown any signs of doing it again but needless to say he's now on lead as soon as we are out of the woods!

Oddly enough I ran into someone a couple of days later who lost their dog on the same spot on the same day! He seemed to have caught the same scent but went in the opposite direction and got lost in the woods. He was later found wandering around an estate and was handed into the police. I'm wondering whether the foxes were in heat that day as it was a funny coincidence!

mrslaughan Wed 27-May-15 21:00:44

Entire male - (I have one) I would pick a bitch in season. My dog is not himself (really completely different dog) if he gets the scent of a bitch .
Yes he has had the injection and I know dogs that this has meant they don't respond to bitches, but they are all elderly ones - not ones in there prime. i know neutered males who show a lot of interest in a bitch in season, while others are complete eunuchs ... It really does depend on the dog.

insanityscatching Wed 27-May-15 22:13:13

I'd guess a bitch in season too. I'm aware of more bitches than I ever thought I would be as Eric makes his way to where they live, on his walks, as each bitch comes into season. He's quite clever at changing routes mid walk to take in the scent of a bitch. Some of them live nearly a mile away. The one that lived next door used to drive him to distraction,he'd sit crying at the door, but she sadly died before Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now