Assured breeders

(7 Posts)
negrilbaby Mon 25-May-15 14:09:22

Why would an assured breeder use a dog with known poor hip scores?
I've just pulled out of another list because I've just discovered the sire has a BVA hip score of 29 (the breed median is 11)!

QueefOfTheDamned Mon 25-May-15 14:14:40

Which breed? In a minority breed with a small gene pool, dogs with less than optimal scores may be mated to dogs with good scores in order to introduce new blood and maintain a level of genetic diversity with the aim of then improving the scores over the next few generations. And in such cases, 29 is not a horrific score. However, if it's a common breed with plenty to choose from then there's really no excuse.

negrilbaby Mon 25-May-15 14:16:00

Standard poodle

QueefOfTheDamned Mon 25-May-15 14:29:03

What are the scores of the Dam? If very low, and if the breeder had good, solid reasons for this mating, and all other health tests were satisfactory, then I wouldn't necessarily rule it out.

If the reason for breeding is that this dog is the most convenient one to use, then I'd leave it.

Also, is the hip score even (eg, 14, 15 = 29) or uneven (eg, 20, 9 = 29)? An uneven score can indicate injury related damage rather than hereditary problem.

So many factors to consider. If the sire is exemplary in all other factors (other health tests, temperament, conformation etc) then not to use him would be throwing the baby out with the bath water in breeding terms. If he's only average in all other regard then there's no reason to breed from him as there will undoubtedly be better all round dogs available.

tabulahrasa Mon 25-May-15 14:38:27

As far as I know assured breeders have to have done tests...they don't need to have certain results.

So you can see the tests, but it's up to you if it's acceptable or not.

negrilbaby Mon 25-May-15 20:47:58

Fair enough. I just wasn't happy to take the risk. But, I suppose, at least I had the results to be able to make a choice.

Chattymummyhere Mon 25-May-15 21:32:03

A lot of good breeders have left the assured scheme as puppy farmers can and are members and they also believe the rules are not good enough such as the one above that the dogs/bitches must be tested but it does not matter what the scores/results are. I know of breeders not in your breed who used to be members and removed themselves writing to kc to explain why they where leaving. Your better going though the breed society.

Also don't discount just because of a single hipscore check the lines to see if you can work out why his being used. He might of been in a car accident witch means he could of had good hips but then got rescored. They would have proof of that though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now