Talk

Advanced search

Kennel coat and dandruff - bath?

(9 Posts)
PacificDogwood Thu 21-May-15 17:20:29

So, 20 months old greyhound boy has been with us for almost 4 weeks after having been with the rescue for only 2 weeks or so, just barely enough time to be neutered, have his dental treatment, microchipping and vaccinations.

He is still losing some bits of kennel coat (and seems to be changing colour with that - started out as a black dog, now much more dark brown confusedgrin) and is allowing me to groom him with one of those rubber mitts with little nubs. The skin on his belly and inside of his thighs is really dry and dandruffy looking - it does not bother him and the vet is not concerned, I am giving him evening primrose oil daily and he is getting a tin of sardines and one egg every week with his usual food.

What I'd like to know, might giving him a bath help? Or make it worse? Do I just need to be patient always a challenge?
If aye to a bath, any shampoo recommendations??

I am not sure how much he would like a bath, mind you...

Firedemon Thu 21-May-15 17:28:04

Watching with interest. I have a similarly flaky whippet too.

PacificDogwood Thu 21-May-15 17:44:15

Maybe I should have put 'dry skin' in the title, rather than 'dandruff' confused

I think it's quite common in pointys, or at least more obvious, what with their almost-bare tummies grin

PacificDogwood Thu 21-May-15 20:48:51

Anybody else with scabby dogs? wink

CMOTDibbler Fri 22-May-15 07:25:46

I think a bath couldn't do any harm at least.
Ddog1 has incredibly fine hair (he has black skin spots and white/fawn markings so looks like a stealth dalmation as you see all his spots) and was scabby at first. These days he has lovely skin - if I brush him, its just with a horse body brush which is v soft so it doesn't scratch his skin at all

TrueFact Fri 22-May-15 07:38:31

these are gorgeous all natural shampoos. Bit pricey but lots of good reports from clients.

PacificDogwood Fri 22-May-15 07:56:01

Thank you, both! smile

I love those photos on the Wildwash home page, but, oh my, those shampoos are more expensive than mine grin
But I may just be enough of a PFDog owner to get some

CMOTDibbler Fri 22-May-15 08:05:26

Mine have to put up with shampoo from paH - we have one medicated one for fox poo incidents and a dark coat one to make ddog2 (cos hes not a puppy since his birthday this week <sob>) shiny and lovely

Gillh89 Sun 07-Jun-15 14:48:06

Try coconut oil, just add a little bit to their food and it works wonders with dry skin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now