puppies and where their bed / crate goes?

(7 Posts)
Newhere2 Thu 30-Apr-15 15:41:45

Hi,

I am wondering where I should have my puppy when she comes home (12 weeks old). I see some people have it in their room, where I had not even considered that. I was going to have her in the crate downstairs with her bed and blankets.

Any thoughts?

If she cries should I go to her or let her get used to the new surroundings and give her lots of cuddles in the morning?

nmg85 Thu 30-Apr-15 16:41:35

We have the crate in the kitchen. When we 1st brought her home she started in the bedroom and then progressed to the kitchen over a about a week. We tried her in the kitchen on 1st night but she cried. We didn't speak to her when in room just moved around when she whimpered and she went quiet. She now sleeps through every night from 9pm - 7am.

spamm Fri 01-May-15 00:32:03

We have two crates - one in the bedroom, and one in the family room. If I had to do it again, I would put the downstairs crate somewhere more out of the way, so the puppy can have some calmer downtime in it. We chose the family room, as we are always in / around there, but that means it is too heavy with traffic when you want the puppy to relax and sleep.

villainousbroodmare Fri 01-May-15 00:50:22

We put the bed in the kitchen (small cottage, well within earshot). We initially kept the puppy solely downstairs and had a stairgate . We were lucky and he never squeaked.
If you were thinking that he'd sleep downstairs, then just try it and see if it works.
If you think he's wretched and needs company, either bring him upstairs, crate/ bed and all, or try a low-key visit. Just try not to time your response to coincide with when he happens to be mid-whinge.

Newhere2 Fri 01-May-15 06:56:49

thanks all willainous I think i am going to try your suggestion. The spot where I will put the crate down stairs is near the living area but in its own room (laundry) so I think that she should feel comfortable in there for the nights with her things.

Another question.... do you shut the door of the crate? A friend of mine says no and another yes.... I am able to close the laundry door so could leave the crate open and she'd be contained. Any thoughts?

nmg85 Fri 01-May-15 07:57:03

I always shut the door at night but only because otherwise she would just stand at the kitchen door and cry... which is something she doesn't do in her crate. She is also into everything and can jump up onto out chairs etc

villainousbroodmare Fri 01-May-15 08:17:41

I never used a crate; I think they are a bit odd and "cagey" - though I know they work wonderfully for people. I think one of the main reasons people use them is that the puppy is v unlikely to pee in it, as he sees it as his bed, and then he can't toddle across the kitchen and pee elsewhere. Also obviously he can't eat your shoes in the night.
I guess I would shut it or there is no point.
I did midnight, 3am and 6am toilet breaks for a few weeks, and I would say that that is even more important if you are using a crate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now