Talk

Advanced search

Is this an American Pitbull Terrier?

(17 Posts)
RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Sat 14-Feb-15 16:17:37

Just wondering as it's being advertised for sale as such on my local FB selling group and obviously that's a banned breed hmm

Is it just a Staffy? I'm not interested in buying the dog but if it's a banned breed it should be reported to the police I suppose.

notsogoldenoldie Sat 14-Feb-15 16:21:44

It looks more like a Staffy to me, tbh. I thought Pitbulls were sort of thinner and taller. I've never seen a Staffy that colour though.

SnowwyJane Sat 14-Feb-15 16:28:24

I don't think it looks like a typical 'Pitbull' are they advertising it as a staff?

Haffdonga Sat 14-Feb-15 16:28:42

I'd report on 101. If they're stupid enough to advertise it as an APB either they're telling the truth (banned breed) or they're lying (false advertising). So something's dodgy.

PeruvianFoodLover Sat 14-Feb-15 16:34:42

It unlikely to be purebred even if it does have APBT somewhere in it's pedigree - and as the law relates to "type" rather than genetics, the decision can be fairly subjective.

Unfortunately, there aren't many police offices clued up about the DDA, so you may struggle to get them interested; in some rural areas, it falls to the wildlife office or farmwatch team so you could call 101 and ask to speak to them?

tomandizzymum Sat 14-Feb-15 16:35:39

Staffie pitbull cross perhaps? Pitbulls are not banned where I live and they are actually lovely dogs. It's the status dog that was easy to ban. Staffies are native to the UK so impossible to ban them. I think there are exceptions on a dog by dog basis, where people do own them.

Branleuse Sat 14-Feb-15 16:37:07

hes gorgeous.

SnowwyJane Sat 14-Feb-15 16:39:51

I think it looks like a mastiff to be honest aha
My parents used to own two pitbulls and they were gorgeous!

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Sat 14-Feb-15 16:39:54

It's being advertised as an APB. I might phone 101 then.

Thanks for all responses.

Floggingmolly Sat 14-Feb-15 16:43:35

He is lovely. Poor divil; God knows who he'll end up with being sold on Facebook sad

tabulahrasa Sat 14-Feb-15 17:17:27

He looks mastiffy to me as well.

The thing is, it matters not at all what he is, if someone with the authority to decide he is of type says he is, then he is.

I personally wouldn't phone 101...if the owners don't want him and he's deemed to be of type he'll be PTS even if he has a lovely character because you can't sell or rehome one.

brunette123 Sat 14-Feb-15 18:32:02

I wouldn't phone 101 myself.

SnowwyJane Sat 14-Feb-15 19:00:52

This is sad sad if you call 101 people could assume he is a Pitbull and a lot of places end up putting the poor dogs down

RubbishRobotFromTheDawnOfTime Sat 14-Feb-15 19:10:10

This is another image of it, if that helps.

CuddlesAndShit Sat 14-Feb-15 19:19:50

Oh god, this has just broken my heart sad

Fucking ignorant dickheads, all those who give away/sell animals on facebook, gumtree etc. I fucking wish it was illegal.

CuddlesAndShit Sat 14-Feb-15 19:23:29

Sorry, that sounded so aggressive! It just makes me so angry. I hope he goes to a good home, to someone who will treat him a lot better than a commodity to sell on Facebook.

Branleuse Sat 14-Feb-15 19:24:34

why would you phone to get him PTS???

Hes done nothing wrong

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: