Talk

Advanced search

training enthusiastic lab!

(4 Posts)
punter Wed 11-Feb-15 17:58:02

Punter lab gets very excited and jumpy with two particular people who visit. I think they over fussed him when he was a puppy (he is now 2). If they sit on the sofa he almost tries to get inside their heads via their ears! On Monday I want to do a training session with him and one of them. My suggestion is that when they come to the door if he does not stay on four paws, they leave again. And so on. When she sits on the sofa and he tries to get on her, she gets up and leaves the room and we shut him in room. After a few seconds we try again. Do any of you know if this is the best course of action? If not any suggestions? TIA

punter Thu 12-Feb-15 14:41:14

Anyone please?

firstposts Thu 12-Feb-15 14:48:57

We have a bouncy lab who gets ridiculously excited when anyone visits. The training you plan to try is what Victoria stillwell does on her tv programme and it seems to work for them smile our trainer suggested a bottle of stones to be rattled at her when she starts jumping and barking with excitement. It actually works quite well, but somehow it's never graduated to working without the bottle of stones. Probably because we are not consistent enough so owner failure rather than training failure. Good luck !

FiveHoursSleep Thu 12-Feb-15 14:52:00

This is what I would do.
How about the person comes in and ignores your dog until he sits?
Then pop him a treat quickly.
take a step towards sofa and ignore any jumping, when he sits, treat. Don't give any commands, just wait for him to sit and then treat and fuss.
Then another step closer to sofa.
Once they get to sofa, he should know what's expected, so as soon as he sits, he gets a treat and an ear rub.
Make him wait longer and longer between treats.

What you suggest sounds like a lot of getting up and going out of doors!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: