Advanced search

Our DDog was PTS last night....

(14 Posts)
DizzyCow63 Tue 10-Feb-15 10:06:07

And I'm totally devastated. Just come home from dropping DS1 at nursery and he usually comes up on the sofa with me now while I have a cuppa, the house just feels so empty. Poor DSD (17) is in bed crying her eyes out. Never ever thought it would be this hard.

Rest in peace Alfie, our wonderful one-eyed wonder xx

throckenholt Tue 10-Feb-15 10:08:39

It is always hard - they are part of the family. You grieve for them.

It will be tough for a few days, and gradually improve.

EasyToEatTiger Tue 10-Feb-15 10:29:38

So sorry. It is devastating to loose a dog.

picklesanne Tue 10-Feb-15 11:12:13

So sorry for your loss. Xx

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 10-Feb-15 11:14:03

So sorry. We lost ours a couple of months ago. The house still seems empty. Know just how you feel.

We're hooefully having a puppy in the spring. It's never a replacement, obviously, but it is a distraction and something to look forward too.

Take care. flowers

Tootyfilou Tue 10-Feb-15 11:26:32

Very sorry for your loss. He looked a beautiful dog. Xx

trevortrevorslattery Tue 10-Feb-15 11:28:29

flowers so sorry for your poor boy

DizzyCow63 Tue 10-Feb-15 14:10:44

Thanks everyone, it was so sudden and just hasn't sunk in yet. He was my first dog, and he was just perfect. He was born with just one eye but it never held him back.

It was a bit of a twist of fate how we ended up with him, all down to DH being such a soft touch grin but I don't think we could ever have another, they wouldn't come close to him sad

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 10-Feb-15 14:45:17

I know what you mean. I think we're in for a rude shock, going from a fantastic old dog that knew it all and had done it all, to a baby that knows nothing! Can't be without a dog, that's the problem.

atonofwashing Tue 10-Feb-15 14:51:31

I'm sorry too. Know exactly how you feel.
What a lovely looking dog. Happy memories. Lots.
It's not easy, but time heals. A bit. We all miss our lost doggies.
Take care.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Wed 11-Feb-15 00:00:24

There's been a lot of threads like this lately. So sad. sad

Irelephant Wed 11-Feb-15 00:04:51

He's beautiful. I'm dreading the day I have to make that decision.

My mam has always said it's the last kind thing you can ever do for them.

KiwiJude Wed 11-Feb-15 02:21:19

RIP Alfie, big hugs to his people.

INVU Wed 11-Feb-15 03:18:49

So sorry for your loss. I've lost two now, the most recent one was a month ago. It is heart-breaking, it does get easier with time.

I know what you mean about never being able to love another dog the same way again. Our first dog died 18 months ago, he was what I called my heart dog, the one that really got to me. I still cry over him regularly. I didn't think I would ever love a dog as much again but I do. smile. About two months after my old boy died someone called the shelter where I volunteer to surrender a 12 yr old dog because they were moving. The shelter didn't want to take him (although they would have if there were no other options) so I spontaneously agreed to take him. He's a big boy and he was already 12 so I thought it would be for 6 months or so and I didn't want the last bit of his life spent in the shelter. 16 months later he's still with us and I call him my second heart dog. He is similar in some ways to my old dog and in other ways very different, definitely not a replacement dog.

There's a thing I often see on Facebook about dogs coming into your life to teach you about love and leaving to teach you about loss, and a new dog never replaces an old dog they just make your heart bigger. People that have loved many dogs have very big hearts. It's true. It's like when you have a second child and you think you can't love it as much as the first but you can.

Look after yourself OP. There'll come a day soon when you will be able to look back and smile about his funny ways.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now