Talk

Advanced search

I don't like my veterinary practice.

(4 Posts)
AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Sun 08-Feb-15 20:41:11

I'm a first time dog owner. I didn't grow up with dogs. My vet practice is very dismissive and not informative.

For example. Last week I took my dog to be weighed and to pick up the next month's supply of Advocate. My pup is small and a fussy eater. I asked if her weight was within the expected range and was there anything other than the current feeding regime (which I described) I should be doing. They told me she wasn't a proper breed and therefore they couldn't say. (She's a Cockapoo and I know this is a mixed breed. But heck. I was really asking is she too thin.)

Then I asked about a pet passport. I asked them how soon would my puppy have had all her injections in order to have a passport. They told me they could do the rabies injection at 4 months and then she'd be up to date and ready to apply for the passport. But I've later discovered that they have to be chipped prior to having the rabies injection. Grr.

Do you think it would be a good idea to swap vet practices or will this present difficulties with getting a pet passport?

mrslaughan Sun 08-Feb-15 22:00:30

I know what they are saying, as the size of a cockers can vary enormously...however you or they should be able to tell whether she is a god weight by feeling her sides......though my friend has a poodle and when his coat is very thick it is probably harder to feel....anyway I was told by my vet that with gentle pressure on the ribcage you should be able to feel the ribs, ...if your dogs ribs were obvious to the touch straight away, he is probably under weight.....if you have to really put a lot of pressure to feel them , then they are probably carrying a little too much.

Does that help?

Also if they are going to be like that - I would change practise.

Have you thought about raw feeding - most dogs seem to thrive on it?

averylongtimeago Mon 09-Feb-15 10:55:42

If you are not happy with the vet, ask around and go to a different one.

For your pet passport, check out [[ https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overvie]]w it's quite straight forward and as long as your paperwork is all in order, travelling with your dog is not a problem.

throckenholt Mon 09-Feb-15 11:08:51

I was at the vet the other day and the was a notice up saying all dogs need be microchipped by a certain date (can't remember - next year maybe ?) and at least at our vet, it was free at the moment. If you have her chipped, then there shouldn't be a problem with the passport, once the vaccinations are done.

Rule of thumb for fatness - if you can see the ribs, or easily feel them (ie with a light touch) then too thin, if you have to try hard to feel them, then too fat. From experience young pups are quite roly-poly, older pups are often quite skinny, and start filling out a bit at about 2 years old.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: