Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for stopping my dog barking in pubs/cafes?

(10 Posts)
reup Sun 08-Feb-15 18:42:55

He has his barking moments at home but he's a nightmare if we go to the pub- or today sitting outside a cafe. We've tried different treats/chews, we keep forgetting to try a Kong.He stops if we pick him up but that's not always possible if he's muddy or we are eating.

Its not a huge problem until we go on holiday and eat out lots more (we are renting a cottage and you are not allowed to leave a dog in the house by itself).

Any ideas? My dh thinks he should take him to our local every night to get him used to it!

CMOTDibbler Sun 08-Feb-15 19:29:54

My puppy is a bit of a shouter at other dogs if anyone else starts barking (ddog just looks confused). We've got him to stop by just raining treats on him whenever he's not barking and praising him for it. Which seems to be working really well.

WorldWildWifeFund Sun 08-Feb-15 20:39:52

My dog was like this. Now I put treats on the floor (small pieces of cat kibble, or a wrapped biscuit that takes time for him to undo). I mean those cellophane-wrapped biscuits sometimes served with coffee - you can get them in B&M round my way.

reup Tue 10-Feb-15 19:06:32

Thanks. I'll have can go at those.I'm not sure if he's bored or stressed!

reup Tue 10-Feb-15 19:07:46

Thanks for those ideas, will give them go. I can't decide whether he's bored or stressed!

Asleeponasunbeam Tue 10-Feb-15 20:11:21

Have you taught him 'speak' and 'quiet' commands? We taught these to our springer and he only barks on command (or at squirrels).

reup Tue 10-Feb-15 21:01:34

Wow. That's impressive. We have been rather lax with the training. Any tips for training him to do that?

Asleeponasunbeam Tue 10-Feb-15 21:51:27

How old is your dog?

I trained 'speak' and 'quiet' with a clicker and a load of kibble. Loads of great tips and videos if you Google it.

Asleeponasunbeam Tue 10-Feb-15 21:57:12

Frozen Kongs were always good when ours was a pup. Real bones now when we can get them.

Also think about training him to lie down in the pub. They don't bark when they're lying down. Again, clicker and lots of kibble (out of their ordinary food 'allowance' so you don't over feed. I trained this by treating after, say, 10 seconds of lying down, then building up until he stays laying down as long as I need him to. I trained this during children's meal times to stop him begging and being generally annoying.

reup Wed 11-Feb-15 21:08:31

Thanks. Will give those a go and have a google. He's 16 months.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: