Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone want to help me find a new hound ?

(21 Posts)
frumpet Fri 06-Feb-15 21:24:31

Still grieving over the death of our beautiful old dog . Nothing seems right without him here . Would love another dog ,though I know it could never replace our old boy . Thought it might cheer me up to have a look at what we could offer a home .
I don't have many criteria and understand that there is no such thing as the perfect match , on paper our old dog certainly wasn't , understand that effort will need to be put in and it could take many many months to mould to each other .
These are my criteria :
1. Needs to be aged between 1-4 years old ( flexible on this )
2. Must not eat the children or the cat .
3. Must be ok with other dogs as dog sit for friends dogs occasionally (although could work on issues surrounding this )
4. Prefer short haired dogs. (love pointers , greyhounds , lurcher's etc , but willing to look at other shapes and sizes )

That's it really . There is someone around 90% of the time , can put plans into place for the other 10%. The children are very dog friendly and the cat is obviously used to dogs smile

dotdotdotmustdash Fri 06-Feb-15 21:44:37

Without doubt this is the place to start your search :-)

www.greyhoundgap.org.uk/

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find your perfect hound soon (if you don't, I'll be happy to send you an imperfect collie-X ;-) )

frumpet Fri 06-Feb-15 22:50:41

Should add that youngest child is 5 , has lived with a large dog since birth .

dotdotdotmustdash Fri 06-Feb-15 23:36:45

Phoenix Dog Rescue has some beauties, including a young lurcher called Elsa.
She's not a year old yet, but seems to have what you're looking for.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/100382436668494/?fref=nf

moosemama Sat 07-Feb-15 11:12:00

The current lad I really want to see in a good home is the gorgeous Rodney he has won a lot of hearts, he's such a daft lump and all he wants is his forever sofa to curl up on.

Only fly in the ointment is that the rescue's stunt cat passed away, so I'm not sure he's been cat tested.

gailforce1 Sat 07-Feb-15 13:30:33

Evesham greyhound and lurcher rescue have quite a variety of hounds for re homing on their facebook page from puppies to older dogs.

EasyToEatTiger Sat 07-Feb-15 14:24:58

Depending on where you are in UK, https://www.facebook.com/HoundsFirstSighthoundRescue might be able to help. We too had a massive dog-shaped hole in our house when we lost one of our oldies. It needed filling. We have another collie from Wiccaweys, who is brilliant!

BagelwithButter Sat 07-Feb-15 15:02:38

If you're looking for a hound type, you may also wish to consider dogs from abroad, as there are many failed hunting dogs that are abandoned.

SHEILA on page 2 of homing list sounds wonderful. You'd have to check about cats but sounds like a lovely family dog.

HOLLI is also a Desperate Greekies dog but is also on the Holbrook Animal Rescue site.

SOS Animals also worth a look.

Dogs are always neutered, chipped, vaccinated etc before adoption. Some may already be in foster homes in the UK.

BingoBonkers Sat 07-Feb-15 19:05:50

Definitely a pointy hound!

Lots to choose from sadly:

Lurcher Link
GRWE
GRWE in the South East
Hounds First
Evesham Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue
Greyhound Gap
Birmingham Greyhound Protection
Lozza's Lurcher Rescue
Southern Lurcher Rescue
The Greyhound Sanctuary
Lincolnshire Greyhound Rescue

PetraStrorm Sun 08-Feb-15 11:33:09

Retired Greyhounds Trust has branches and affiliated rehoming organisations all over the UK - should be somewhere near you if you want to go and visit some hounds before making a decision.

Good luck OP, I'm currently searching for a whippet, but have met some gorgeous greyhounds recently, they are lovely lovely animals smile

frumpet Sun 08-Feb-15 11:58:48

Aaaaargh DH is being all putty foot downy , he adores dogs and cried like a baby when we had to have ours PTS , BUT he is now saying he doesn't want another one . No rescue is going to rehome to us if one adult is saying he doesn't want a dog are they ? quite rightly though .

Need to work on him , not sure why he is being like this , I paid for all dog related stuff , walked him and cleaned up after him etc ( and yet DH got total unwavering adoration from dog ) hmm

gailforce1 Sun 08-Feb-15 12:55:38

What about fostering for one of these charities? I wish I could - must very rewarding to help a dog towards finding a permanent home.

monkeyfacegrace Sun 08-Feb-15 12:59:38

petra have a look at scruples whippet rescue. We currently have a few that need new homes. Even better if you can take a pair smile

moosemama Sun 08-Feb-15 13:35:36

Thought I should point out to the OP that Scruples is now Just Whippets Rescue Facebook here and Website here.

littlehayleyc Sun 08-Feb-15 15:00:05

How about Margot?

hope-rescue.proboards.com/thread/34779/margot-year-deaf-staffie-cross

PetraStrorm Sun 08-Feb-15 15:17:08

Monkeyface, Just Whippets have recently home checked and passed me grin - now it's just a question of finding the right whippet for us. I'd love two but I think we'd better start slowly!

monkeyfacegrace Sun 08-Feb-15 15:44:42

Fab!
I still can't get used to Just whippets. I'm sticking with Scruples and it still works via Google so there wink

moosemama Sun 08-Feb-15 17:27:02

Apologies, I didn't realise it still worked if you Googled Scruples. I only found out about the name change the other day and thought I'd mention it just in case.

monkeyfacegrace Tue 10-Feb-15 20:58:20

petra if you're still around, Barnsley Animal Rescue Centre have just had 5 gorgeous 14 week old lurcher pups in. They look very whippety to me. Might be worth enquiring as they are SCRUMMY!

moosemama Tue 10-Feb-15 21:21:44

Oh my word, I shouldn't have looked on their FB page - I now have serious puppy broodiness and I absolutely can't take on another dog at the moment. grin

PetraStrorm Wed 11-Feb-15 22:17:28

Thanks monkeyface, but I'm not after a puppy. I bet they're lovely though grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: