Advanced search

(31 Posts)
ExitPursuedByABear Fri 06-Feb-15 19:32:08

He fell through the ice in the middle of a frozen pond.

I phoned 999

He managed to ice break his way out. Eventually.

I am drinking.

Letsgoforawalk Fri 06-Feb-15 19:48:04

My mum lost her beloved dog that way. She talks about it every winter. It was 60 years ago!
Is your dog ok?

ExitPursuedByABear Fri 06-Feb-15 19:49:14

He is fine. Bastard.

I lived through it in slow motion.

Letsgoforawalk Fri 06-Feb-15 19:51:35

At least you didn't go in after him, you didn't.....did you?

LetThereBeCupcakes Fri 06-Feb-15 19:55:25

Would the emergency services have come out? I've always wondered what I'd do if my dogs did something similar.

Hope you and dog are ok.

zippyandbungle Fri 06-Feb-15 19:57:03

Oh my goodness. Have a double. Thankfully mine won't walk on the ice, I don't know what I would have done.

Taz1212 Fri 06-Feb-15 19:57:54

Nightmare! My puppy just about gave me a heart attack a few days ago when he went on the reservoir after the ducks. He got about 18 inches away from the edge of the ice to the water before finally turning back. He's now on lead when we approach the reservoir until the ice is gone!

I'm glad your dog is OK- horrible experience!

ExitPursuedByABear Fri 06-Feb-15 20:02:31

I bloody hope they would have come.

No I didn't go in. But if the fire service had turned up I would have gone in.
Which sounds deranged I know.

I just keep thinking of him disappearing under the water and not coming back up.

At least he is clean.

< Hollow laugh>

Christ. I stood there shouting help and a lady came. And said he would freeze.

nellieellie Fri 06-Feb-15 20:12:17

You poor love. Have a martini. The type of Martini that is mainly gin......

ExitPursuedByABear Fri 06-Feb-15 20:18:48

I only have vodka.

HemanOrSheRa Fri 06-Feb-15 20:19:47

Hey Exit. Hope you and pup are ok? Stuff of nightmares wine wink

DramaAlpaca Fri 06-Feb-15 20:27:54

Exit!!! shock shock shock

Am I right in thinking he's a springer?

We had a springer who did that a couple of years back. I thought she was a goner, it was terrifying. Stupid dog got out & lived to tell the tale, but I swear I aged five years.

Wolfiefan Fri 06-Feb-15 20:31:56

Bloody hell. So glad you are both safe. Years ago I saw a dog jump in deep water. It was covered with weed so I think the dog thought it was jumping into grass. There were steep sides (think like a canal). Dog got pulled out sharpish but even now the thought makes my blood run cold.
(Is this the dog known as bastard dog then?!)

ExitPursuedByABear Fri 06-Feb-15 20:41:48

Yes. That is he.

It was just so .... Dramatic. But futile.

There was nothing I could do.

Just watch those wet ears.

EasyToEatTiger Fri 06-Feb-15 20:50:29

Thank goodness you are both safe. Bloody hell. Have another drink on me! Dh has dragged our dog out of the canal. Nearly at the same place he dragged a woman out who had jumped in after her dog. Both this time of year. AAAAAaaaagggghhhhh! I would probably have jumped in after my dog.Durrrrrrrr.

NoNoNoMYDoIt Fri 06-Feb-15 20:56:02

Oh Exit!!! Be kind to yourself. And hug that dog(assuming he now doesn't smell too bad!)

ExitPursuedByABear Fri 06-Feb-15 20:57:10

He always stinks.

It's all that what might have been......

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Fri 06-Feb-15 22:38:29

Shit. Very scary.

Have another drink.

starsinthenight Fri 06-Feb-15 23:53:34

Poor you Exit. No wonder you've hit the wine this evening. Stuff of nightmares & flash-backs. Hope you sleep OK.

cherryminx Sat 07-Feb-15 00:11:19

Yikes Exit. Glad he is ok and so are you.

Our dog years ago did the jumping on green slime thinking it was grass thing but it was summer and although smelly, rescue was possible.

Do you think he will learn lesson?

Priceypizza Sat 07-Feb-15 00:13:55

Jesus how scary, if its any consolation op i'd of been in there <didnt try and rescue stupid lab pup from a very swollen river> Stupid but he is my baby!

ChippingInGluggingOn Sat 07-Feb-15 00:17:23

That dogs going to be the death of you! Little bugger!

Though I have to say, very helpful of the woman smile

She was lucky not to follow him!

AdoraBell Sat 07-Feb-15 00:29:50

Glad everyone survived. Don't worry about lack of gin, vodka is a perfectly acceptable substitute.

alabasterangel Sat 07-Feb-15 08:34:09

Oh exit your heart must have been exploding. Hope you have recovered.

SunshineAndShadows Sat 07-Feb-15 08:42:52

Oh Exit I hope you're feeling better. My old springer chased a rabbit across some old coal mine workings including the slag pit area where all the coal dust sits behind a big warning fence in a deep sinking-sand type pit. I was in tears. Fortunately she crossed the edge of the pit which must have been drier and less sinky and was running at the speed of light which probably helped. She returned covered in coal filth and looking very pleased with herself. I was in bits, mentally reliving the horse-sinking-scene in the NeverEnding story with my lovely DDog.
They're lovely, stinky floppy-eared idiots!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now