Talk

Advanced search

Calling all collie experts!

(7 Posts)
MonstersBalls Fri 06-Feb-15 11:02:01

So I've solved the jumping up issue, we're working on the lead walking and recall issues and now I've got a new problem.

My collie is 18months old, she's done puppy training and her bronze obedience and she's still a bloody nightmare. sad When she was around 8 months old she started getting a bit reactive around other dogs while on her lead but she played fine with them while off it. I'm going to repeat her bronze obedience in March so hopefully this will get sorted then when she's in a hall with other dogs and I can treat for good behaviour.

But! she's started nipping other dogs while off lead. I think she gets over excited and wants them to play but she won't leave them alone. I now have to walk her away from everyone sad which is doubly annoying because she doesn't jump up anymore.

She doesn't do it to all dogs and actually runs away if a dog shows any aggression to her. It's dogs that initially would like to play but she just takes it too far until the dog is hiding behind its owner's legs from her.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can stop this? I don't want to be THAT owner that everyone avoids. She's only just started this so I'd like to nip it in the bud, so to speak, before it gets worse!

muttynutty Fri 06-Feb-15 19:16:03

Got to luuvre a colliesmile Extremely common behaviour but one that does need to stopped asap as you say.

Impulse control in a must in all collies - and they are usually very good at it. Think of a dog out herding sheep they have to listen to commands and lie down when asked even if the adrenalin is racing and they want to herd the sheep.

I would recommend that you contact an ADPT trainer to help with this problem - this does sound like fear as well as the collie chase and nip - and this will need careful management asap.

Walk away from anyone that says dominate , need to show who is boss and the use of aversives - if you do go down this line, a collie in particular will find another more worrying ways to display their emotions.

I would be looking at distance control, impulse control, and an alternative behaviour when greeting dogs also LAT (Look at that ) would be the way to go.

A good book to help is Controlled Unleashed - aimed at sporting dogs but has some useful tips to help generally in creating a calm dog

EasyToEatTiger Fri 06-Feb-15 20:38:39

I'm glad you posted MonsterBalls. We have not had this problem SO FAR! 4 collies in and it's been relatively straightforward (or I'm looking back with rose-tinted spectacles). The mum of our new pup is a live wire. I have a feeling the pup will need some kind of job. It's our first puppy! I will keep an eye on you and we can compare notes if you like!!

Buttholelane Sat 07-Feb-15 16:09:27

When you say the mum is a live wire.. What sort of line is the puppy from?
Is it an agility line?

I wonder if rather than needing a job the pup more so needs to be taught how to settle and relax.

My dog is working line, and high drive, but not a 'live wire' at all.
Indeed, many owners of working type collies I have spoken to have commented that their dogs are really quite calm too the vast majority of the time.

Some of these agility types are so hyped up they can't physically relax and have to be doing something 247.
Just wonder if that's the case for your pups mum.

EasyToEatTiger Sat 07-Feb-15 17:40:17

Mum and Dad are from working lines. The other ones we don't know about much as all are rescue. I think they are as cool as cucumberssmile This is the first time we know anything at all about parents! We have dealt with all sorts of issues with the dogs over the years. This is our first time starting from scratch and i am looking forward to introducing the pup to new things!

EasyToEatTiger Sat 07-Feb-15 17:56:07

You'll get there MonsterBalls! We've never really had the problem of nipping other dogs. But our eldest did rather like joggers and cyclists! Distraction is a brilliant thing. One of ours will run and run and run. He was a total nightmare with his recall. Really horrible. These days he still runs for the hills but comes back, is far less aloof, and seems to enjoy our company. I can also get him to stop half a mile away, and he is able to respond to a whistle. Ho humconfused Will look into that book, muttynutty!

MonstersBalls Sun 08-Feb-15 12:48:20

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely have a look at that book Muttynutty because it does seem to be about controlling her impulses to herd. I'm worried in case it does develop into a fear/aggression type thing. It's strange because she stopped doing the puppy nipping of us ages ago so this seems to have come out of the blue.

I'll be interested to see how you get on with yours EasyToEatTiger. There are a few collies where I walk and they all seem to be well behaved, playful dogs but without exception the owners say it took a lot of work to get them there. Or at least a few years of growing up.

I'd like to get that distance control but she's nowhere near reliable enough yet to respond to commands when she's excited.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: