Talk

Advanced search

Calling all dachschund / frenchie owners!

(9 Posts)
nooyearnooname Tue 03-Feb-15 23:07:15

After wanting a dog for aaaaages, in the next year or so our working arrangements should finally fall into place so that we can have one (taking this very seriously for obvious reasons and making sure that one of us can be at home most of the time has been key before we even think about it). Neither of us have had a dog before, and we have settled on a puppy, most likely a dachshund (my preference) or a french bulldog (DP's preference). Smallish house but with a decent size garden, no DCs.

Does anyone have any particular information about either of these breeds that might sway our decision? I've done the research on costs, potential health issues etc, so it's more temperament / easiness of training / personalities stuff I'm after.

Thank you!!

FlatCapAndAWhippet Wed 04-Feb-15 07:07:34

Close friend has a Frenchie. Dog. Quirky with huge personality. Easy. Fits well into their family with three kids. Good fun. Small.
I look after him, he's great. My dog thinks hes a pain as he loves my dog and follows him everywhere, literally.
A couple of negatives; he was expensive and has ongoing skin irritations / problems which means constant medication and vet visits. He's so highly bred, it does sometimes create complications.
My boy is a rescue stuffy cross. Cost £100 from the rescue centre and is perfect in every way.....of course. smile

FlatCapAndAWhippet Wed 04-Feb-15 07:09:56

Stuffy ..... He can be stuffy but is a staffy grin

SukieTuesday Wed 04-Feb-15 10:55:02

French Bulldogs are lovely. We almost ended up with one. What put me off wasn't the dogs but the fact that over 80% of births are by Caesarian because the breed standard has encouraged dogs with big heads and narrow pelvises. I love pedigrees and the variety of their appearance but breeding towards a shape to such an extent that it has made it necessary to intervene over 80% of the time so they can give birth safely seems ludicrous.

tabulahrasa Wed 04-Feb-15 11:17:35

Neither are a breed I'd recommend due to the health issues they both have...out of the two though, as novice dog owners is say frenchie.

Dachshunds are a lot more full on than people seem to think they are, they're pretty stubborn, have a high prey drive and are basically little hounds, with all the big hound traits.

VetNurse Wed 04-Feb-15 18:34:12

I would advise staying away from both these breeds as they will cost you a small fortune in vet bills/ insurance.

I love both breeds but only because we see so many at work! If you are going to have one then I would pick a frenchie. Dachshunds can be grumpy and stubborn little buggers.

MirandaGoshawk Wed 04-Feb-15 18:38:46

<<Dachshunds are a lot more full on than people seem to think they are, they're pretty stubborn, have a high prey drive and are basically little hounds, with all the big hound traits.>>

This. I love them - they are my favourite breed - but they can be stubborn and difficult to train. OTOH they are brave and loyal.

If you haven't had a dog before I wouldn't get a puppy. In fact I refuse to have another puppy, because of the housetraining. And at the age of six months or so when they are chewing everything it can be very tiresome. There are lots of older dogs that need homes and they are already housetrained smile

nooyearnooname Thu 05-Feb-15 22:26:25

I've heard that dachshunds can be stubborn little buggers but naively I have it in my head that that would be kind of cute. I know, I know!

Archiesnan Sat 07-Feb-15 18:03:20

We have a frenchie and he's has no health problems at all. He's a great loving dog and we would love another.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: