Talk

Advanced search

Cod Liver Oil?

(8 Posts)
Pocketsfullofpoobags Tue 03-Feb-15 14:06:40

I got some great advice from MN about my little staffie cross the other week - we've now been told he has arthritis in his shoulder and will need anti inflammatory meds, but luckily not as serious as we feared!

Does anyone know if I can give him cod liver oil capsules meant for humans?

I had to sign a form at the vets today to say that sometimes they have to use human meds and was I OK with that, so I'm thinking it's probably alright?

Also - I'm guessing buying the meds directly from the vets will be the most costly way of doing it, but want to make sure I get them from a good source - any suggestions welcome! (I'll know what medication he needs this afternoon)

EasyToEatTiger Tue 03-Feb-15 14:21:35

Cod liver oil can have side effects in dogs. We asked our vet about using it for our oldie. I would seek veterinary advice, just in case. Our dogs did very well on Cartrophen injections for arthritis. It has fewer side effects than anti inflamatories. May be worth looking at, but can't be used at the same time. So many of these things are trial and error. There are lots of online pet med websites. They need to be UK based and you need the script from your vet.

Bamaluz Tue 03-Feb-15 14:27:45

I buy cod liver oil for my dog from pets at home. I just looked into side effects and read that as long as you are not giving too much, or giving vitamins containing more vitamin A too, it should be fine.

GobblersKnob Tue 03-Feb-15 14:29:10

Salmon oil is just as effective and very good for dogs, will work out cheaper too.

tabulahrasa Tue 03-Feb-15 14:31:37

Salmon oil is better for dogs than cod liver oil...I can't remember why though (I'm not well, so my brain isn't working right).

My dog is on yumove and salmon oil.

DueInFebruary Mon 09-Feb-15 23:11:19

We use glucosamine for dogs from holland and Barrett for our 6 year old staff and it seems to really help her. May be worth asking your vet about it?

Buttholelane Tue 10-Feb-15 11:35:22

Krill oil, salmon oil or green lipped mussel would be better imo

LokiBuddyBoo1 Tue 10-Feb-15 23:52:28

I used to use glucosamine and cohondrition tablets from tesco for my old ddog, before he passed away he was on them for years they helped with his back legs and he had no side effects from using them. my vet told me to give them a try.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: