Talk

Advanced search

'Wet Dog Shake' when not wet!

(21 Posts)
TooOldForGlitter Fri 23-Jan-15 20:26:52

I know lots of dogs do this, but gawd mine! He must do it at least 100 times a day. I've had to take all his pretty shiny glittery practical stuff off his collar coz the jangling drives me nuts forty million times a day! Anyone else with a non-wet shaker? grin

paxtecum Fri 23-Jan-15 20:31:04

I sometimes dog sit a rather large dog and he sleeps in my bedroom at night. He wakes me up several times a night doing that shaking thing.

In his defence my snoring may wake him up too.

TooOldForGlitter Fri 23-Jan-15 20:36:53

I think I saw his thread about your snoring...grin

CMOTDibbler Fri 23-Jan-15 21:25:52

Has he been checked for earmites? That can cause shaking

TooOldForGlitter Sat 24-Jan-15 12:47:52

He doesn't have ear mites. It's just his thing smile

AlfieandAnnieRose Sat 24-Jan-15 12:53:07

Oh my dog is the same too. And yes it's very annoying especially with the jingly collar!
I thought it was normal though? Or maybe it's normal to me, I can't imagine a dog not doing it!

TooOldForGlitter Sat 24-Jan-15 14:01:23

I've counted today and so far we are up to 54!! Collar on for walk - shakes. Coat on - shakes. Pass another dog in street - shakes. Collar off at home - shakes. I could go on!

Mitzi50 Sat 24-Jan-15 14:22:00

That seems a lot of shaking - is it worth taking him to the vet to rule out inner ear infection or maybe something stuck in his ear?

ggirl Sat 24-Jan-15 14:22:46

Trainer at puppy classes told me it was an adrenaline shake , so they do it when they're stressed or after a stressful situation

ggirl Sat 24-Jan-15 14:24:36

so maybe something hormonal going on that needs checking..something wrong with adrenal glands maybe ...completely guessing btw

TooOldForGlitter Sat 24-Jan-15 14:27:35

There's nothing wrong with him honestly, he's a very nervous dog I think it's just his way of calming himself when he's excited or nervous or stimulated.

Nearasdammit Sat 24-Jan-15 14:28:23

Dogs often shake off after a stressful event.

ggirl Sat 24-Jan-15 14:44:58

would drive me mad too OP

Lilcamper Sat 24-Jan-15 15:41:23

It's a dogs way of 'rebooting' when excited, unsure or stressed.

TooOldForGlitter Sat 24-Jan-15 17:52:06

Rebooting, that's exactly it!

AlfieandAnnieRose Sat 24-Jan-15 17:59:29

Rebooting! grin my dog who does this is also the nervous type, but I don't think she shakes off as much as yours. 54 shakes and only halfway through the day? That's a lot!
My dog does the shake off after sitting on our lap, so I hope she doesn't consider that a stressful event. If only they could talk hey!

catsofa Sat 24-Jan-15 18:00:26

You can tape the collar tags to the collar to stop them jingling, that way doggy is still labelled in case they get lost etc.

I just wish I could shake like that, i looks as if it must feel amazing!

RandomMess Sat 24-Jan-15 18:00:58

In this house wet dog shaking is called "shag".

We were at the beach one day and DD aged 7ish ran up to me and said at the top of her voice "Mummy I really want to shag you" shockshockblush

Worse of all she had said the same thing to dh as well!!!

"Oh darling you do wish you were a dog so you could come out of the sea and soak me by shaking your wet coat" blushblush

AlfieandAnnieRose Sat 24-Jan-15 19:27:03

Haha RandomMess I think you need to change the name for it! grin

RandomMess Sat 24-Jan-15 20:02:55

That is the name dd gave it, not us!!! Pretending to be a dog is a long term favourite game - I'm just relieved that I worked out what she meant in that split second.

Is there a proper term for it - would love to know what it is grin

TheHappinessTrap Tue 27-Jan-15 17:44:56

My oh and I have taken to shaking our bums as a greeting! And my one shakes when she wakes along with a general stretch.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: