Advanced search

Dry food

(20 Posts)
WorldWildWifeFund Fri 23-Jan-15 19:52:28

Is there any dry food that your dog likes? Best so far is Wag for my dog, though he's not exactly over the moon about it. Btw I only feed it as a top-up.

beachyhead Fri 23-Jan-15 19:58:59

We've started recently on Eukanuba Daily Care for Sensitive Skin as we got a new rescue dog and he was in it. It's fish based and my other dog has really taken to it as well.

I use it on its own for breakfast and mixed for supper.

CMOTDibbler Fri 23-Jan-15 21:25:10

Mine have Burns pork and potato. They have ridiculously sensitive tummies, but it suits them and they like it

WeAllHaveWings Sat 24-Jan-15 16:00:34

Our black lab is on Millies Wolfheart, he switches between Salmon and Veg, Countryside Mix and GameKeepers varieties. He loves all the them so much we can also use the kibble as a training treat.

He has an amazingly shiny black coat. Also since switching when he was a pup we have no more problems with smelly wind and he has very pick-up-able small firm poo so good all round.

SteveBrucesNose Sat 24-Jan-15 16:47:35

GirlDog is on fish4dogs White fish.

She's always had horrid stomach issues can't be comfy for her but utterly grim for us and was on royal canin Gastro food for a while. Then one day we ran out and the vets had none in stock so we tried this one. It's white fish and no meat, roughly 11% protein good for dalmatians. Her arse has been much better - well formed poo. Still has horrific farts, but she's not had any diahhroea since being on this which is strange for her.

She wolfs it down she also eats poo though and whimpers for more. We've split her daily allowance into 2 meals a day as shed eat all day if we allowed her to and she started getting overweight.

YourBubzYourRulzHun Sat 24-Jan-15 16:54:57

My lab would eat shit on a stick if I offered it so he's not the best judge but my standard poodle is more fussy. At the minute they have Lukullus but before that was Markus Muhle and they like Millie's Wolfheart too.

chocolatereindeer Sat 24-Jan-15 17:01:56

Our dogs have Skinners duck and rice, it's probably one of the best value dog foods based on the quality of ingredients.

WorldWildWifeFund Sat 24-Jan-15 23:16:45

A bit worried that my dog prefers cat food of any kind to designated dog food.

WasWildatHeart Sat 24-Jan-15 23:28:58

We fork out for Eden holistic pet food as dog has epileptic cramping and I read diet could help. Been feeding this for a year now and, touch wood, she hasn't had any funny turns. She enjoys eating it too - before she was never very interested in food.

tabulahrasa Sat 24-Jan-15 23:50:43

"A bit worried that my dog prefers cat food of any kind to designated dog food."

That's because it smells stronger.

Mine won't eat any with fish in it, even ones like Eden with just a bit and he can't eat any with grains in or he gets diarrhea...I tolerate the fish avoidance because as it's fairly unusual and I know there are foods that make him ill I figure if he won't eat it then it's possible it wouldn't agree with him.

Other than that he eats what I give him - and the odd bit of stolen cat food, lol.

SistersOfPercy Sun 25-Jan-15 00:00:07

I have a very non food motivated dog who actually loves canagan, especially the salmon flavor.
It scores really highly on the dog food comparison sites as well.

He can tolerate anything but canagan is by far the only food he eats most of rather than picks at.

Panicmode1 Sun 25-Jan-15 08:22:20

My puppy came to us on Eukanuba puppy food and everyone was telling me it's not great for the money and doesn't have a very high meat content.

Having done some research, I am currently moving her over to Canagan slowly - first few days with an 80/20 in favour of Eukanuba, the bowls got we're on 50/50 and she's leaving loads!! Hey ho - perhaps when it's 100% she'll be back to hoovering it up - but for a retriever, she doesn't seem to be massively motivated by food!

WeAllHaveWings Sun 25-Jan-15 09:50:38

"A bit worried that my dog prefers cat food of any kind to designated dog food."
That's because it smells stronger.

Millies Wolfheart do a couple of recipes with tripe in them which I have heard are very stinky and enjoyed by dry food refusing dogs.

Alibalibumblebee Sun 25-Jan-15 10:04:39

My two, rescued Huskies, came to us on Royal Canine and they seem very happy on it but I wouldnt like to live on weetabix or shreddies so I won't to add some wet food to their day.

I started off by poaching a chicken on a bed on veg and mixing it with their kibble. They like it but am I doing things the correct way or can it be improved on.

I even like the idea of giving them a raw diet.

SecretSpy Sun 25-Jan-15 10:17:57

Skinners here, the salmon one. I understand it's the nearest to Burns without costing a fortune. Dogs are in great condition and tidy firm poo grin

tabulahrasa Sun 25-Jan-15 11:55:39

WeAllHaveWings - to be fair, you get some pretty stinky dog foods, but in general cat food is stronger smelling...I'd imagine there's also a bit of, ooh novel food item that I'm not supposed to have added in there too, lol.

sweetkitty Sun 25-Jan-15 22:50:47

Millies Wolfheart here too, fantastic food fantastic customer service

Nottinghill1 Mon 26-Jan-15 12:40:57

Millie's wolfheart dry food,I'm a little confused about this food. I've heard that it is excellent but it's classed as a working dog food. My little dog is a small Cavapoo. Would it be suitable for his breed???

sweetkitty Mon 26-Jan-15 17:02:13

Yes it will be suitable for a cavapoo

The only reason it's labelled as a working and sporting dogs food is that it means it's exempt from VAT therefore cheaper. It's not huge big kibble bits either.

AvonleaAnne Mon 26-Jan-15 20:33:35

We have found Lily's Kitchen really good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now