Advanced search

can she sell the dog?

(14 Posts)
typoqueen Thu 22-Jan-15 21:39:25

my sons ex G/F told my son that he has to look after the dog now that he bought when they were together, she drove 150 miles to leave him at my house where my son Is now living, the dog is 9 months old and is lovely, my dd (7) has fallen in love with him and they sit at play all the time, we are now getting nasty texts from the Ex G/F saying she wants the dog back as she has people queuing up to buy him or we can give her £250.00 to keep him, my son originally paid £200.00 for him in the first place and when he left gave her £300.00 to help with food etc. Can she just turn up and take him, he has been with us about 6 weeks now and is really settled, he is exercised regularly every day (he got taken out as and when she had the time) he has company all day as I work from home, she obviously does not want the dog just the money from selling him, its all very sad and I feel for the puppy as he is getting on lovely here, any advice will be greatly appreciated

CatsClaus Thu 22-Jan-15 21:40:55

tell her to do one!

MrsFogi Thu 22-Jan-15 21:43:37

Tell her that's fine however she owes you 6 weeks of kennel fees which are £1,000 per week and that when she lets you have the £6,000 in cash she can have the dog to sell to anyone in the queue.

dalmatianmad Thu 22-Jan-15 21:43:59

The poor dog, she's clearly not thinking about his best interests!
Tell her to piss off, sounds like you can offer him a good loving home.

VeryStressedMum Thu 22-Jan-15 21:48:04

I'd also tell her that she owes you money for food and care for the dog while you had him. It will be a lot more than 250 quid. .

mrslaughan Thu 22-Jan-15 23:13:45

Is he microchipped? Who is he registered too? I would think she would have a v hard case to prove......
I would be tempted to just tell her that a he is your sons dog as he paid for him, that yes you acknowledge that he was left with her, but she was given money to look after him, that he never relinquished his ownership rights , which was why you quite happily took him back when she return him, and that if she continues such claims you will report her to the police for trying to con/scam you.
He is well shot of her......

LokiBuddyBoo1 Fri 23-Jan-15 02:08:12

Tell her she owes you kennel fees for the past 6 weeks and she won't get the dog back till she pays up.
She sounds like she is just after money and do'snt really care about the dog, so will probably drop the idea cut her losses and leave the dog with you if she thinks that you want money for boarding the dog before you return him to her.
Good luck hopefully you get to keep the dog as he sounds much better off with you

PigletJohn Fri 23-Jan-15 03:07:30

You say your son paid £200 for the dog. Do you mean your son bought it from a breeder or dealer?

AlpacaMyBags Fri 23-Jan-15 03:40:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HelloItsStillMeFell Fri 23-Jan-15 04:05:20

haha I love what MrsFogi suggested, you should definitely tell her that. grin

Seriously, she can fuck off. She gave 'her half' of the dog to your son because she couldn't (or didn't want to) look after it. Therefore it's no longer her dog. Simple.

ScrambledEggAndToast Fri 23-Jan-15 06:40:50

shockshock Tell her to bugger off. She's had £300 for care of the dog plus the dog is now settled with you anyway. What a cheeky money grabbing cow!

SinclairSpectrum Fri 23-Jan-15 07:14:35

Unless there is a microchip / ownership paper in her name she is knackered.
It is true that ownership is 9/10ths of the law - the police would consider this a civil matter. This means she would need to lodge a claim at civil court, seek the advice of a solicitor etc. All costs money.
She won't bother.
Tell her that unless the text messages stop that you will report her to police for harassment / malicious communications.
But make sure your son isn't giving as good as he gets via text as messages from both sides are examined (whether deleted or not).

typoqueen Fri 23-Jan-15 09:28:14

thank you everyone, your advice was exactly what I wanted to hear smile my son has stopped replying to her messages, the last stating she was sending "some people" to my house to take the dog, which is fine as I can just call the police, we don't need the hassle but a happy settled puppy is far more important to us, than a silly girl trying to play the "hardman" thank you all once again

Hoppinggreen Fri 23-Jan-15 09:52:43

Just be careful not to leave him unattended in the garden in case the silly cow does send someone round and if he isnt already get him chipped and registered to you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now