Talk

Advanced search

Is my dog depressed? And how do I help her? Does she need company?

(4 Posts)
Twitterqueen Mon 19-Jan-15 16:54:51

Cocker spaniel, 6 years old. Seems to be deflated and not her usual self. she's not jumping into the car after the walk, or onto the bed (on the rare occasion when I let her). But she's eating OK (though turning up her nose at it for an hour or two), pooing and peeing ok. She gets excited when I get the lead down, and I played with her for a short while with the blanket earlier. She'll jump up on the sofa when I'm not watching.

She gets walked off the lead for an hour+ every morning and around 20 mins each eve. I wfh so she has company all the time, but she doesn't play much.

Any comments welcome. Do you think she's ill or depressed?

SpicyBeat Mon 19-Jan-15 17:06:40

If this is a recent change and she is noticeably less energetic than before I would take her to the vets first off.

Twitterqueen Tue 20-Jan-15 09:34:42

Thx Spicy. She's back to normal this morning but I will keep an eye on her.

highlighta Tue 20-Jan-15 09:47:12

I think a vets visit is in order.

Can a dog get depressed for no reason? Genuine answer, if nothing has changed in their lives i mean.

Our Lab was severely depressed after we lost our other dog. He pined so badly, that he lay in one spot the WHOLE day. He wouldn't go near the spot where our late dog ate (the water bowl was kept in that spot so he wouldn't even drink).

The day i came home and he wouldn't even get up to greet me, i knew that it was serious. He didn't even get up when i showed him the lead, I couldn't even get him out the gate to take him for a walk. I knew if we didn't do something, that he would pine himself to death. He was lifeless and it was incredibly upsetting. We lost our late dog tragically too, so it was a difficult time for all of us.

We got a new puppy a short while later and he was like a new dog again. He got his spark back, played, walked and just was his old self.

BUT he still will not go near the spot where we used to feed our late dog...

miss the old bugger so terribly still

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: