Talk

Advanced search

Nasty reaction to advocate - alternatives?

(11 Posts)
basildonbond Sun 18-Jan-15 09:19:16

We've been treating dog (18 month old Toller) with advocate - he's never liked it but his reaction is getting worse - last night he was really agitated and was running around the house unable to settle (he's normally really chilled so v out of character). He also swims several times a week plus has hydrotherapy so I'm not sure how much protection he's getting anyway. I'm loathe to use it again so will ask my vet for an alternative. I know frontline is not great any more - is it worth trying bravecto?

Buttholelane Sun 18-Jan-15 10:37:01

Billy no mates by CSJ.
Non toxic, gives them a nice coat and really, really effective.

Buttholelane Sun 18-Jan-15 10:39:08

Alternatively, if you want to go down the chemical route, there is an injection that lasts 6 months.
It doesn't kill the fleas but it makes them infertile so they can't breed.

Lilcamper Sun 18-Jan-15 11:59:40

I use advantix.

basildonbond Sun 18-Jan-15 12:36:24

Thanks - my vet's given me advantix as well - we use that when we're going to a tick-infested place but apparently it doesn't cover lungworms as well

muttynutty Sun 18-Jan-15 12:52:32

Milbemax will cover lungworm

twojues Sun 18-Jan-15 14:10:23

Hi basildon.
I've got a toller too. A lot of tollers have had a reaction to Advocat.
I (and my dog's breeder) just use frontline on our tollers and check them over thoroughly after any walk for ticks.

It might be asking your breeder what she uses for her dogs.

Donki Sun 18-Jan-15 23:08:05

My breeder (I have a Toller too) strongly advised agsinst using Advocate as it is a known problem. I use frontline.

Muddiboots Sun 18-Jan-15 23:11:10

Stronghold covers same things
This year I used the new seresto flea collars on the dogs and have been impressed, you still need to use a wormer for lungworms etc though

5hell Tue 20-Jan-15 17:12:48

We've just started using Bravecto...an oral treatment (in the form of a tasty chew) as our dogs are water lovers and i hate the smell of the ones you apply to coats. It doesn't cover all worms tho, so you have to do those separately, however as our labs are excellent pill takers I'd rather that than stinky sticky topical flea treatments.
Good luck finding something that works smile

basildonbond Wed 21-Jan-15 08:23:36

Thanks all - I'll go and have another chat to my vet and in the meantime will get some billy no mates

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: