Talk

Advanced search

Slippery Paws

(6 Posts)
Blackpuddingbertha Fri 16-Jan-15 21:37:20

BerthaDog has always had a problem with slipping on smooth floors. She has now developed a real issue with any tiled or wood floor surface. She doesn't like a certain spot in our kitchen and earlier today was really quite distressed when we visited a friend until she found a rug to stand on.

Has anyone used any of the products that are supposed to make their paws less slippery? Or any other things we could try?

SistersOfPercy Fri 16-Jan-15 23:37:13

You can buy something called 'paw wax'. It's essentially like a tin of wax furniture polish and you rub it in the paw pads.
My late westie was arthritic and didn't get on well with our slippery wood floors, we used it on him with some success.
We also used rubber gripped socks on his paws which worked brilliantly, but he was laid back enough to wear them blush

Pets at home used to sell the paw wax, from memory it was about seven pounds a tin but lasted forever.

ender Sat 17-Jan-15 08:50:05

Check your dogs claws, if they're too long she might find it difficult to walk on smooth surfaces. Claws shouldn't be touching the ground when dog stands up.
My lab suddenly refused to walk on our floor and we had to put mats everywhere. We eventually realised it was because his claws had grown long due to changing his walk routine after we got 2nd dog.
He used to have an evening on-lead walk but we stopped that and did mostly off lead on grass/soft ground which doesn't wear the claws down in like pavements.

LimeJellyHead Sat 17-Jan-15 17:22:44

Our dog has got like this. It can also happen in old age. Apparently their pads become smoother with use. He is seeing a physiotherapist for an issue with his spine/back legs and she mentioned his slippy paw pads and said why not put toddlers grip socks on him. You know those socks with sort of sticky bottoms.

Blackpuddingbertha Sun 18-Jan-15 21:02:40

Thank you all. She's only young (2.5 years) but has always been particularly slippery! Her nails are cut regularly so it's not that, I think it's because she has particularly 'fluffy' paws even though she's regularly shorn.

I've been looking at the socks and the wax. I don't think she'll keep the socks on so I'll try the wax option first but didn't know if there was a brand that worked best in anyone's experience. I found the Paw Wax one and also Mushers Wax (both on Amazon), the Mushers one is a lot more expensive, but not sure if that means it's any better!

SistersOfPercy Sun 18-Jan-15 21:19:14

Bob was about 12 when his floor aversion started but as I said above he was old and arthritic. Eventually I went to IKEA and bought half a dozen throw rugs for him, they were something daft like £2 a rug.
We lined them from lounge to his bed, food and door for the loo and he was happy with that.
Of course at 2.5 she's a little young for that option yet.

Personally id go for the cheap wax, not sure there will be much in it tbh.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: