Advanced search

When to neuter?

(9 Posts)
UpWithPup Sun 11-Jan-15 23:29:09

Dpup is 18 weeks, a small breed. He is going to be neutered, that has been decided. What is less certain is when. I've read a lot on the internet and opinions seem to vary massively. Does anyone have any advice? Thoughts? Anything I should look at?

VeryStressedMum Mon 12-Jan-15 12:36:43

I thought it was over a year old for smaller dogs to let them grow first. That's what I was thinking of doing with my pup. Hope that's right.

Itsgoingtoreindeer Mon 12-Jan-15 15:17:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UpWithPup Mon 12-Jan-15 15:28:12

itsgoingtoreindeer do you know if there's a rule of thumb for that ie heavier dogs need it sooner?

aleto Mon 12-Jan-15 16:16:41

I think it's supposed to be better to leave larger breeds as long as possible to allow them to grow to full size before removing their supply of testosterone. We've got a lab and the advice is 18 months to 2 years unless sexualised behaviour (humping other dogs, running after in season bitches) becomes to much to handle!

UpWithPup Mon 12-Jan-15 19:27:01

Thanks Aleto that's what Id understood, but I'm expecting him to be fully grown before 12 months and the vet suggested 12-18 months before snip snip.

LokiBuddyBoo1 Tue 13-Jan-15 12:44:27

The bigger the dog I think the longer it's recommend to wait this is due to the fact that early neutering can cause the growth plates to stay open longer resulting in longer legged dogs and can cause abnormal bone growth.
My vet recommend I neuter my small Chihuahua cross Jrt at 10 months as he had finished growing and was already cooking his leg and marking. Would have waited till he was a year but had an intact female at home and didn't want a unplanned litter.

Silverjohnleggedit Tue 13-Jan-15 12:57:36

Vet recommended 6months because that's what the animal charities suggest! hmm I'm going for 2 years because while the jury is still out on the pros and cons I'd rather do it later than sooner.

UpWithPup Tue 13-Jan-15 17:40:57

Gosh its such a minefield.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now