Talk

Advanced search

At what age did your dog first cock his leg to pee?

(18 Posts)
DuchessofKirkcaldy Fri 09-Jan-15 23:55:08

My 11 month old collie x has still never done this.
I hadn't even noticed until my DH told me. Not especially worried about him just curioussmile

MillyMollyMandy78 Sat 10-Jan-15 00:13:57

Shortly after 1 year old. Cant remember exactly when but we were visiting my sister and took him for a walk when he suddenly cocked his leg against a lamp post. Then about 5 steps further down the road etc etc. we lost count how many times he did it on that walk. I found the sudden change in his behaviour a bit odd (never owned dogs before). He is 4 now and usually cocks his leg but never when he does his first morning wee. Not sure if this is normal ir we just have a strange dog!

niqnet1 Sat 10-Jan-15 07:51:30

Troy didn't consistently do it until we rehomed our second dog when he was 6.

tabulahrasa Sat 10-Jan-15 09:04:21

Current dog about 4 months, the last one was about 2 years.

GobblersKnob Sat 10-Jan-15 09:12:24

About one, but not very consistently (entire male), spayed bitch however cocks her leg at every opportunity grin

Bubble2bubble Sat 10-Jan-15 09:31:54

Both mine were at least 18 months

DuchessofKirkcaldy Sat 10-Jan-15 11:23:03

Thanks, there's still time then.
He kind of just leans forward to pee, like a horse does.

Purpleflamingos Sat 10-Jan-15 11:40:54

Mines so big (his head above my waist) he rarely does, only if it's considered worth his effort.

insanityscratching Sat 10-Jan-15 13:08:59

Eric occasionally from five months but consistently from six months. He had a few occasions where he toppled over in the first month where he cocked it a bit too high grin

WookieCookiee Sat 10-Jan-15 15:52:48

about 18 months. But he still doesn't bother most of the time, he'll be 3 in March

tinymeteor Sat 10-Jan-15 18:54:53

12 weeks. Whereas our friend's dog peed like a girl for at least a year. It was no reflection on their temperaments, they are both wusses grin

Floralnomad Sat 10-Jan-15 20:14:59

Mine started at about 5 months ,but when he wees in the garden he doesn't cock his leg he just stretches out ( like a horse does) . My mum has a 13 yr old boy and he has never cocked his leg at all .

RVPisnomore Sat 10-Jan-15 20:19:13

My boy is nearly 4 and doesn't cock his leg, he just leans forward and squats. I doubt he'll do it now!

SistersOfPercy Sun 11-Jan-15 23:33:10

About six months. Mums dog is coming up for two and he still doesn't.

Floundering Sun 11-Jan-15 23:46:55

One of mine does the horse thing & tilts his pelvis, lazy git! (6 yrs old)

Can cock his leg perfectly well when he wants, just idle I think!

silverjohnleggedit Mon 12-Jan-15 00:56:17

4 months and continues to practice when he can! wink

LokiBuddyBoo1 Mon 12-Jan-15 01:41:44

My ddog was about 5 months when he started to cock his leg, the only time he doesn't is when he's really tired.

My sisters dog who's the same age does a weird half squat half leg cock and wees on his front paws every time and his brother my father's dog has never cocked his leg

Fannydabbydozey Mon 12-Jan-15 17:26:54

Mine has never done it - deeround x lurcher. He just squats and is often confusing people that he is pooing when he is not and I get moaned at for not picking up when there is NOTHing to pick up. He's two.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: