Talk

Advanced search

Can your dog navigate?

(6 Posts)
insanityscratching Fri 09-Jan-15 14:16:25

Eric goes on various local walks that can be linked either through the trail, public footpaths, housing estates, industrial estates, a main road, across farmland etc although we tend to stick with one circular route at a time of about two and half miles. Joining various parts of walks means five miles and more.
It's increasingly apparent that Eric can navigate his way to join routes and not necessarily by the obvious routes so today through a series of back alleys and previously down a path I didn't even know existed.
He definitely has favoured spots and so takes these diversions to get himself to the ponds or the allotments to watch the chickens or to find the farmer's dog who he loves to play with.
It just seems so clever.Can your dog navigate too?

GemmaTeller Fri 09-Jan-15 16:25:54

Yes,

Male boxer waits to see where we turn the first few times then its a case of 'come on, we cross here' 'we go round here' etc etc.

He also looks down all the driveways/ginnels etc, looks over small wall/fences and has a really good look round!

Female boxer plods round in a 'are we nearly home' fashion.

livelablove Fri 09-Jan-15 16:29:17

Well my dog is pretty rubbish at map reading, but she will stop and ask for directions.

UpWithPup Fri 09-Jan-15 17:10:00

Pup can identify our house and my parents house. If you try to walk past it he pulls towards the door in a 'why aren't we stopping here?' Kind of manner?

lampygirl Fri 09-Jan-15 21:35:15

Mine knows the way to where I work. Once you make a certain turning on the walk, she'll drag you all the way there and sit outside. She gets lots of fuss and spoils when she comes to work with me so it's easy to see why. Does mean we have fun walking anywhere else that direction

MrsPnut Fri 09-Jan-15 21:39:55

Our dopey dog always has to be at the front leading even if she has no idea where we are going. She knows all the local walking routes and has some that she does with our dog walker on a regular basis.
She also recognises places we visit in the car and gets over excited as we get closer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now