Talk

Advanced search

Toilet training tips?

(3 Posts)
HeffalumpsnWoozles Thu 08-Jan-15 20:33:26

We have an older JRT & a 3 month old pup, pup will use training pads in the house but will not go outside!

She watches our older girl 'go' with interest but won't follow suit. We have a pad outside, pick her up & put her out when we notice her circling or starting to use the pad indoors but she just stops. Sit out with her for 20 minutes or so to no avail. She then comes back indoors & goes instantly.

She has 3 walks a day as they both come to work with me and won't go in the fields either does anyone have any tips as our older girl got it straight away.

insanityscratching Thu 08-Jan-15 21:55:39

What worked here was no pads at all because I think they just confuse the puppy. Take pup out every twenty to thirty minutes or after food, after drink, after sleep, after play, during the adverts, before you go to the loo etc etc. If the pup doesn't go pick them up and walk round with them inside so as they don't get the chance to go inside and then go out again. Learn to watch for their cues so sniffing and circling and get them outside before they go inside
Eric was trained within a fortnight and hasn't had an accident since.

HeffalumpsnWoozles Fri 09-Jan-15 06:55:17

Thanks, I will remove the pads. She goes out after waking as we've learnt this is when she has to go! But she still holds it to go indoors, quite possibly because of the pads....Fingers crossed, she is a quick learner in other areas & has mastered Sit, Stay & her recall is pretty good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now