Talk

Advanced search

How long a walk does your Whippet or Lurcher get?

(13 Posts)
Itsgoingtoreindeer Thu 08-Jan-15 15:13:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gaggiagirl Thu 08-Jan-15 15:17:04

2x half hour walks (lurcher) he's an old boy now though but beautiful non the less.

slicedfinger Thu 08-Jan-15 15:17:27

2 x 20 to 30 minutes on lead
1 or 2 10 minutes on lead
several very short "blasts" in the garden when he runs like a mad thing in spring, and mainly hovers above ground. grin

He's a happy boy, lean and fit. 7 years old.

Itsgoingtoreindeer Thu 08-Jan-15 16:08:29

moosemama Thu 08-Jan-15 16:09:27

I have two Lurchers. They get one main walk a day for exercise, which generally consists of a half hour lead walk up to and through the fields, half an hour chasing each other around like loons, then another half hour lead walk back. We often end up staying out longer though, often up to two and a half hours or more, especially if it's quiet and they can stay off-lead for longer.

They sleep most of the time when at home, but the younger of the two (19 months now) still enjoys mad zoomies around the garden and plenty of soft toy throwing games in my living room . hmm grin

On the odd days when I'm pushed for time they cope fine with two half hour walks with maybe 15-20 minutes chasing each other around in the local park.

I also do short clicker training sessions to wear them out, especially with the younger one (older lad isn't the brightest, bless him) a couple of 5-10 minute clicker sessions usually results in him being conked out on his bed, sleeping deeply for a good couple of hours afterwards. grin

CMOTDibbler Thu 08-Jan-15 16:14:40

Mine normally have two 15 minute off lead running round madly sessions a day, though if its raining they will only be dragged out in raincoats to toilet.

At the weekends/holidays they are totally happy to run off lead for a couple of hours on the hills or woods.

LoathsomeDrab Thu 08-Jan-15 16:30:26

I've got three young whippets and on average they get one 45-60 minute walk a day.

It varies day to day though. Some days we might only be out for 30 minutes, today we've just been out for an hour, sometimes (especially in summer) we're out for a couple of hours and we do the occasional 2 hours plus walk. They're happy however much they get as long as they've had the chance to stretch their legs.

They spend most of each walk off lead and we do a variety of mooching around (well, I mooch, they sprint around after each other at full speed), playing with toys and training.

They get Sundays off and occasionally a day during the week as well. In winter there's inevitably the odd day we can't manage to get them out for a proper off lead run before it gets dark so we do games and training at home instead. We don't bother forcing them out in heavy rain either as even with coats on they hate it, spend the entire walk shivering and mincing along trying to get under my big coat and then do wall of death round the house anyway when we get home hmm So again, training and games at home keeps them happy when the weather is dire.

Mama1980 Thu 08-Jan-15 16:34:09

I have a 3 year old lurcher x she gets 2 30-40 minute walks a day all off lead where she runs like a lunatic and she has free access to the (large) garden. She also goes to agility classes once a week. She's very healthy and tends to sleep when indoors.
Any sign of remotely adverse weather, rain, cold or wind though and she has to be persuaded to even set foot outside for toileting. Very much a fair weather dog smile

moosemama Thu 08-Jan-15 17:26:58

My younger lad hates the rain too - even with his coat on. I tend not to drag him out if it's heavy rain, as he doesn't enjoy it at all, so if it's heavy rain all day dh usually takes our older lad out in the evening instead.

Itsgoingtoreindeer Thu 08-Jan-15 17:51:27

moosemama Thu 08-Jan-15 18:17:22

They're such delicate souls aren't they? grin

My older boy doesn't care about the rain in the slightest, but he's part Border Collie, with some shaggy old Deerhound in the mix too, so is nicely protected.

Pip is supposed to be a scruffy, but in reality has a very fine layer of pretty useless, long hairs over typical greyhound fine, almost none-existent fur - and he's super lean as well, so has no body fat to keep him warm.

CMOTDibbler Thu 08-Jan-15 18:32:02

My older boy is a total wuss! He loves his Milgi fleece, and would prefer to wear it all the time given a chance - he has very much a greyhound coat and figure. Puppy has much more hair and will take his coat off when warm enough. Dog gives him 'you crazy fool' look when he does this

moosemama Thu 08-Jan-15 19:12:48

Pip wears his Milgi housecoat, then still whinges for us to go and put a blanket over him at 3.00 am if it gets below freezing outside. He's such a prima-donna! grin

By contrast, Lurcherboy refuses to even have blankets in/on his bed (he has a memory foam liner in an XL plastic bed and turfs them all out if you dare to put some in there.

Thing is, they tend to swap beds a lot, so you have Pip wanting a lovely squishy, warm nest and Lurcherboy insisting on a blanket/snuggle free zone. Then they swap beds and Lurcherboy sets to work removing all Pip's blankets - often involving dragging them right across the kitchen, while Pip stands there whingeing because there are none at all in Lurcherboy's bed. Then they'll settle down for a nap, before swapping beds and starting the whole thing over again. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now