Talk

Advanced search

Docking vs natural bobtail

(7 Posts)
tedglenn Wed 07-Jan-15 15:24:26

I have a rescue who originally came from Southern Spain as a 6-month old. I had always assumed he had been (sadly) docked as he has a very short stump. We're relatively successful at Rally-O, but I've known that our competition progress will ultimately be limited as docked dogs are (rightly, although frustratingly) not allowed to compete at shows where there are paying public.

We've just had his DNA results back and it turns out he is a Breton Spaniel crossed with a Bodeguero. Having googled, I found out that a large percentage of Bodegueros are born 'naturally bobtailed'.

So, does that mean I could compete in public shows? Would the organisers take my word for it or would I need some kind of documentation? If so, would a vet be able to distinguish whether my dog has a docked tail, or was naturally born that way?

tabulahrasa Wed 07-Jan-15 16:43:50

I'd imagine a vet would be able to tell fairly easily.

lemisscared Wed 07-Jan-15 16:45:30

what is rally-o?

LoathsomeDrab Wed 07-Jan-15 16:48:34

Rally

TheCunnyFunt Thu 08-Jan-15 07:46:42

You should be able to tell, my sisters Boxer is docked and his tail (or what's left of it anyway...) has a small bald spot (really small, about the size of a little fingernail) on the tip where it used to be attached to the bit that was docked. Every dog I've seen with a docked tail has that tiny bald spot.

Floralnomad Thu 08-Jan-15 07:52:00

My dog is docked (but has about 4.5 inch tail) and he hasn't got a bald spot . Personally I don't think docked rescues ( which mine is as well) should be discriminated against .

tedglenn Thu 08-Jan-15 15:31:26

Thanks all. I'll speak to the vet next time I am in.

I kind of agree Floralnomad, since it's a) not the dog's fault and b) not the rescuer's fault. Even worse, the law applies to dogs who have had their tail docked due to injury/cancer - they can't compete either.

But the big picture is that this law is in place to prevent cosmetic mutilation of dogs. Through the show ban, breeders will be less likely to dock their pups, meaning the public will be less likely to see docked dogs, thereby making the practice less fashionable and reducing the demand. Which has to be a good thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now