Talk

Advanced search

Help - dog weeing in crate - what am I doing wrong?!

(13 Posts)
Panicmode1 Wed 07-Jan-15 12:17:32

She is not shut in the crate at all - aside from at night, when she is clean. I take her out every 30 mins or so, and since we've brought her home (a week), generally she's been really good and we've only had a few accidents inside. I praise her LOADS when she goes outside.

She was on puppy pads at the breeder and was weeing on those - I've moved one to the back door, and sometimes when I'm not quick enough, she's wee'd on one of those. However, the past couple of days, I've spent AGES waiting for her to wee, she's done nothing, but then come straight in and wee'd in her bed - she's done this three times in the past 24 hours - how do I stop her doing this?

I have washed her bedding (in bio washing powder) - could that be the problem?!

Panicmode1 Wed 07-Jan-15 17:06:44

Please - anyone? She's just done it again. I have spent about 30 mins outside waiting for her to wee.......

insanityscratching Wed 07-Jan-15 17:36:42

We didn't have a crate but if Eric didn't wee I;d bring him in and carry him round for five minutes before taking him back outside so that he didn't get the chance to wee inside.Noidea if that was the right thing to do but Eric was house trained within a couple of weeks and only ever had two accidents because I wasn't watching him enough.

Panicmode1 Wed 07-Jan-15 17:52:48

I've tried the coming in, and then going out again..and that's still not working. I thought Golden Retrievers were supposed to be clever wink

insanityscratching Wed 07-Jan-15 18:01:12

Maybe it's because he's clever he'd rather not go toilet outside in the cold and damp grin
Sorry I've no idea then I'm sure one of the experts will be along soon though

Mushaboom Wed 07-Jan-15 22:01:32

Our puppy did this sometimes when he was younger. I did the same as above - took him outside and if he didn't wee, brought him in and either kept him on my lap or carried him around. If I had to put him down I closed the door to his crate so he couldn't go in. I can't remember how long it lasted but he house trained very quickly.

We got rid of the puppy pads after the first couple of days when a friend suggested they could be encouraging him to wee on anything soft (like the bedding in his crate) and I do think that helped. I wouldn't use them again if we got another pup. If it helps he's 6 months old now and house training feels like forever ago!

Mushaboom Wed 07-Jan-15 22:04:23

Sorry OP I also meant to say it always felt like he did it straight after I'd washed his bedding or put clean ones in - I don't know if that was part of it? My sympathies though - it was frustrating!

Panicmode1 Thu 08-Jan-15 06:28:48

Thanks Mushaboom - I have taken away the pads too, and have just been watching her like a hawk. The not putting her down thing is a good idea (although she's already over 8 kilos!) as is shutting the door to her crate - she doesn't really use it in the day anyway as she prefers lying under the computer table next to it.

Glad that it will feel like forever ago at some point - feels fairly endless at the moment!!

Collaborate Thu 08-Jan-15 08:14:28

How large is your crate? If she can sleep in one part and toilet in another, the crate won't work as a toilet inhibitor. Try putting a box in it to reduce its size.

VeryStressedMum Thu 08-Jan-15 10:04:56

I agree, take pads away, don't put her down after you come in and go out again in 5 minutes and shut the crate door. I think after a little while she'll get it smile

Panicmode1 Thu 08-Jan-15 10:20:00

Thanks Collaborate - yes, probably too big. Got one big enough for an adult retriever. She doesn't really use the crate in the day so have shut the door, taken the pads away, and so far so good (although we currently have torrential rain so she's not very happy about going outside to wee atm!).

Florin Thu 08-Jan-15 10:32:52

We found taking our puppy out on a lead in the garden helped them concentrate on the job rather than get distracted. She is now 6 months and fully house trained but we still do it now if need her to go quickly before we go out or if she is in a distracting or exciting environment such as going to my parents who have 2 dogs of their own.
We didn't use puppy pads as we thought they were confusing.

Florin Thu 08-Jan-15 10:38:23

We have a working cocker so should be great in all weathers but the wuss does not like going out in the rain and had to be encouraged!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now