Talk

Advanced search

Puppy turning nose up at food

(10 Posts)
tobee Mon 05-Jan-15 16:14:34

My 5 month old pup often turns his nose up at his food. He's on Nature Diet as was recommended by a trainer. I changed his frood from breeders slowly as advised.

I'm wondering about changing. Any suggestions? He doesn't like kibble. I know about raw and have it back of my mind but just want to know about tinned or pouches for now, please.

TheHoundsBitch Mon 05-Jan-15 16:23:27

Is pup teething? Ours was really fussy so we put some warm water on her food when she was teething to soften it a bit which seemed to help.
We didn't change her food, but we did move to 2 meals a day and slightly reduced the overall amount recently - she's 5 1/2 months. She almost always finishes it all now.

insanityscratching Mon 05-Jan-15 20:30:01

Eric has always eaten just as much as he wants and no more. Some days that means he eats all of his food and other times he barely touches it. He is the perfect weight for his size according to the vet.
From what I remember at about five months Eric had times when he didn't eat and I'm sure it was down to his teeth then. I also added warm water to his food which might have helped. I also froze carrots and wet towels for him to chew on.
Advice on here at the time was to put down his food for twenty minutes and then remove which hopefully encouraged him to eat next meal time.

tobee Tue 06-Jan-15 09:02:20

Thank you, he is teething. He loves a carrot, frozen and not, and eats treats; bits of cooked food and treats from packets.

The leaving down for twenty minutes and adding water sounds like a good idea. Do you add water to wet food or kibble?

He's had colitis and eaten stupid things in his young life so I worry if he doesn't eat.

By the way, I don't offer treats at same time as food.

daisydotandgertie Tue 06-Jan-15 09:27:47

Is he otherwise well?

Dogs don't have refined taste buds, they really don't. They don't see food in the same way as we do. I'd guess he just isn't hungry. How much does he weigh? And how much are you feeding? And how many treats does he have in a day?

RayBloodyPurchase Tue 06-Jan-15 09:29:50

Dpup only has kibble, she still has a bit of warm water on her food even though she has all her adult teeth. I think it makes it smell more appetising to her, or she just got used to it!

tobee Tue 06-Jan-15 10:57:29

Yes he's definitely well. He's fussy about treats as well. When we go to training classes and do training at home he will eat smelly stuff, sausage treats (from pets at home) or cooked bits of chicken, cheese, homemade dog treats and usually rejects the dry ones.

daisydotandgertie Tue 06-Jan-15 13:25:11

What breed is he? And how much are you feeding and what does he weigh?

Sounds like he has you wrapped right around his little finger tbh - I'd not put up with that level of fussiness, there is absolutely no need for it.

tobee Tue 06-Jan-15 17:19:10

I don't put up with that level of fussiness. He can take it or leave it. Except at training classes where we were advised to get high reward treats. There's no point giving reward based training if he doesn't ever take the reward so I give a mixture to keep him interested and sometimes just give him verbal praise. But then again what's the point of buying food that he won't eat if you can get another brand for the same price. I'm not chopping and changing which is why I came on here to ask what other dogs like.

tobee Thu 08-Jan-15 13:04:03

Ha! Thanks I added some water and it seems to have made a lot of difference so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now