Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Where does the pup sleep?

(9 Posts)
sticks2 Sun 04-Jan-15 19:49:57

We have a 2 year-old girl and at night she sleeps in a crate with the door open. She also goes in there during the day if she wants peace to sleep.

We're getting a pup next week - how do I work it when settling in the pup at night? Do I put her in the crate with the dog? And what about during the day when she has naps/learns to be on her own?

Do I need two crates?

Thanks for any advice about a second dog.

VeryStressedMum Sun 04-Jan-15 20:48:55

I'd get another crate for the puppy. I definitely wouldn't put them in a crate together. You could put the crate for the puppy in your bedroom at first so he/she settles in a bit more.

sticks2 Sun 04-Jan-15 21:21:57

Two crates take up a lot of room. Not sure where we'll put the second one!

VeryStressedMum Sun 04-Jan-15 21:48:33

I know, 2 crates is not an attractive prospect but your older dog needs her own space, somewhere to go when the puppy is driving her mad. Puppies can and will drive older dogs mad and its not really fair to put the older dog in that position. It can take a while for the older dog to accept the puppy and any interaction must be supervised (imo), it's not a great idea to just leave them to it alone at first.

My pup would hang off my older girl's head if I let him. She's so good natured and loves other dogs but it still took her time to be comfortable with the puppy. She never did anything to him but I know her and can read her body language and knew she was stressed when he was around at first and she definitely didn't like it when he wanted to play with (bite) her! I've still don't leave them alone together as he's still in that mad bitey stage but I will when he grows up a bit more.

sticks2 Sun 04-Jan-15 22:12:37

Thanks for the advice.

My dog sounds similar to yours - she's really good natured and loves other dogs - but I'll be very vigilant.

ab444 Tue 06-Jan-15 18:15:22

Ideally each should have their own crate, their own "space", especially while they're getting to know each other. I'd be reluctant to have pup in the bedroom at first- start how you mean to go on!
we have two dogs and they will only go in their own crate! very fussygrin

sticks2 Tue 06-Jan-15 19:04:55

Thanks ab. We didn't have the first one in the bedroom so I doubt we'd do that.
I suppose I thought the two of them would snuggle up together but obviously each needs its own space and not just at night.

CMOTDibbler Tue 06-Jan-15 19:47:26

I bought a second crate for dpuppy. First night, ddog and dpuppy wandered off to ddogs crate and curled up together and have done ever since. Same sort of age gap that you have, but tbf ddog is incredibly laid back and puppy isn't mad bitey type

sticks2 Tue 06-Jan-15 21:39:36

CMOT That's exactly what I imagined would happen especially as my dog loves, loves other dogs and cries when a 'play mate' goes home.

But then I thought that having a bitey, peeing pup arrive in her space might be a bit annoying

I think I'm more worried about this second one than the first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now