Talk

Advanced search

Best dog stuff you would recommend?

(8 Posts)
Wolfbasher Sat 03-Jan-15 18:32:22

We are getting a dog in our house for the first time in a few weeks. A guide dog, in fact, not that it's especially relevant to this post!

I wondered if anyone would recommend any particular brands/things for dogs? In particular, we have to get

- a dog bed
- dog poo bags (a dispenser would be handy)
- food/water bowls
- a few toys (not squeaky and not balls)

I was also thinking about getting a towel/mat for wiping down muddy paws, and some sort of disinfectant for sluicing down the 'poo-ing area'

Any recommendations much appreciated!

WorldWildWifeFund Sat 03-Jan-15 18:41:03

Ezydog for harnesses. We just use cardboard boxes/kitchen roll innards with treats inside (incl gravy bones dipped in peanut butter) for toys, and second hand soft toys you can get in bulk very cheap from Ebay (local buyers you can collect from for free). A good distractor is to throw the tiny pieces of cat kibble into a big cardboard box. My dog will leave no piece of kibble unfound, will spend ages retrieving them. The sound will tell you if the kibble went in the box, hit it, or went elsewhere.

AvonleaAnne Sat 03-Jan-15 19:24:02

A really good door mat! I had totally underestimated the amount of mud four little paws could bring in! We've got a hug rug and a Turtle Mat (they have these in the Lakeland sale).

My puppy's favourite toy is a soft fur gox that has no stuffing. I think it's called an empty toy. She likes kongs too.

We have this micro fibre towel which is very good. www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00L45BAFO#

AvonleaAnne Sat 03-Jan-15 19:24:41

Whoops fox not gox!

schloss Sat 03-Jan-15 19:34:07

Agree with kong toys, just make sure they are big enough so the dog cannot swallow them and choke.

Kennel Mate for dog beds, last forever and can be washed down to keep clean.

Diluted Zoflora a good disinfectant or Odour Fresh from the Animal Health company is especially for dogs and pups. I also use bicarb of soda in water to clean dog floors etc.

Hope that helps!

WorldWildWifeFund Sat 03-Jan-15 19:36:55

Dealing with mud: I put a flask of warm, slightly soapy water, a jug, and a J cloth ready outside the door when we go out. Two microfibre towels ready inside the door. On return, I put the water in the jug and wipe him down with the warm, dampened Jcloth - wetter for the paws. Then I place him on one of the towels, and dry him with the other. Takes less than five minutes, and he enjoys it - especially the towelling at the end. (He's learned to lift his paws ready in turn, and to step onto the towel.) The towels are quickly washed and dried, but not always necessary. This sounds more complicated than it really is. It works for us, and the dog is always beautifully clean. In fact I'm amazed that such a simple procedure can keep him so clean looking.

Gingerfudge Sat 03-Jan-15 20:04:46

Tuff e nuff toys, perfect fit harness, stainless steel bowls, fisherman's gloves, thermal wellies, mat for door, lots of old towels for muddy feet.

Wolfbasher Sun 04-Jan-15 07:35:36

thank you, loads of good advice here esp about washing down!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now