Talk

Advanced search

Best way to take a dog to France?

(10 Posts)
AlpacaYourThings Fri 02-Jan-15 11:32:44

Considering doing a camping holiday in France this year and I would like to take DDog with us.

Has anyone got any recommendations of the best company to use for travelling with a dog.

My dog is quite nervous and wouldn't enjoy being left on her own or with other dogs. This may mean that there isn't any suitable method of travel, though!

Also, if you have ever done this before and have a recommendation of a dog friendly camp that woud be great.

EasyToEatTiger Fri 02-Jan-15 11:59:53

Make sure you have all your rabies and passport things done in time. If you are driving, your dog stays in the car. I don't know about crates in the train. If you are camping, it really shouldn't be a problem. We took 2 dogs with us to Eastern Europe, camping for a month without problems. Tell your insurer. And make sure your dog has at least some protection against local parasites. The Caravan Club has a book detailing lots of campsites in France. For us it became redundant when we got to Poland and beyond! I don't know if Dogfriendly is helpful with Europe. It may be worth a look. It's really important to keep your dog at least quite close to you as in different countries, peoples' attitudes change. We had to go to the vet to get one of our dogs stitched up because he cut his foot.

muttynutty Fri 02-Jan-15 12:20:21

Eurotunnel is fab - dogs stay in the car with you all the way quick and easy.

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Fri 02-Jan-15 13:00:34

Drive to France via the Eurotunnel. The dog just stays in the car with you.

GwenaelleLaGourmande Fri 02-Jan-15 13:17:41

Eurotunnel if you are driving. If you are up north then the ferry from Hull to Bruges accepts dogs but they go in a kennel overnight. Not particularly pleasant for them but my very nervous dog was fine.

Also check out vets on the Europe side they need to have a vet give them flea tick and worm treatment between 24/48 hours before they travel into the UK. Both times I have taken my dog into the UK he has had his passprt checked quite thoroughly so check all the guidelines and rules and work out your plan.

AlpacaYourThings Sun 04-Jan-15 19:59:46

I'm so sorry, I thought I had already replied to you all. How rude of me! blush

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Looks like the Euro tunnel is the best idea, think DDog will be fine as long as one of us is there with her.

Gosh, I didn't realise I would have to get them vet treatment over there, Gwenaelle that sounds a bit annoying...

GwenaelleLaGourmande Sun 04-Jan-15 20:06:39

Just worming now, and it is 1-5 days before re-entering the uk. Main link : https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

Worming specific link: https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/tapeworm-treatment-dogs

GwenaelleLaGourmande Sun 04-Jan-15 20:08:27

I've never met a vet who wasn't up to date. The rabies jab and certificate are a bigger pita. Has to be done several months ahead, blood check and certified- my dog seemed immune to the jab amd needed it 3 times before he could get the certificate. Now if I miss the annual booster by a day I have to go through it all over again.

GwenaelleLaGourmande Sun 04-Jan-15 20:10:25

Oh they have loosened up the rabies cert, just a jab a month before travel now. https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/rabies-vaccination-boosters-and-blood-tests

AlpacaYourThings Sun 04-Jan-15 20:21:38

Thanks for those links Gwenaelle I'll take a look at those now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now