Talk

Advanced search

Why do dogs like sleeping on the sofa?

(51 Posts)
AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Thu 01-Jan-15 22:24:50

Just wondering?

RaspberrySnowCone Thu 01-Jan-15 22:33:26

Mine likes to snuggle into something soft and that has a corner and also he likes to sit where we've been. If you leave your seat for even few seconds he's nicked it, like a sofa ninja....

SunshineAndShadows Thu 01-Jan-15 22:37:57

Smells of human

UpWithPup Thu 01-Jan-15 23:07:48

I think its like humans with cold pillow. Dpup moves every 10minutes or so to find a new cold spot. When the sofa is all used up he moves to the floor.

LoathsomeDrab Thu 01-Jan-15 23:09:26

Because it's comfy. The comfier something is the keener the whippets are to get on it grin

Plus they like being in a big heap with me and DH.

rumbleinthrjungle Thu 01-Jan-15 23:09:54

For dmutt it's because she has to be on me or leaning against me all the time. Velcro dog.

crapcrapcrapcrap Thu 01-Jan-15 23:10:03

Why don't you prefer to sit on the floor? smile

MrsPnut Thu 01-Jan-15 23:13:27

Our dog is only allowed on the sofa in the playroom and she only sleeps on it at night or if we are out. She does have a massive pouffy duvet in her bed so she can be comfy elsewhere. Her other favourite place is 2cm from the lit fire and she glares at you if you make her move so you can tend to it.

mortil2 Thu 01-Jan-15 23:15:25

loathe I've got a whippet too. She's always on the sofa or chair. We play musical chairs most evenings, if you leave she will immediately take your seat. Loves blankets and beds as well

DramaAlpaca Thu 01-Jan-15 23:17:46

Because they like snuggling up with their humans. I currently have a very cuddly, sleepy springer draped across me with her head on my lap smile

LoathsomeDrab Thu 01-Jan-15 23:18:34

We play musical chairs most evenings, if you leave she will immediately take your seat.

Ours do that as well. In fact the eldest will pretend he wants to go out until someone gets up to take him at which point he nips into the vacated spot. He does the same to the other dogs by waving a toy around enticingly until they move grin

SillyBugger Thu 01-Jan-15 23:21:39

Why do you? Same reason - it's nice and comfy!

mortil2 Thu 01-Jan-15 23:26:51

loathe that's really made me laugh. My dog does that whole pretending to want to go out thing. Does your dog want to have blankets too and to sleep in your bed? Lovely dogs though

butterfliesinmytummy Thu 01-Jan-15 23:28:21

Ours whines at the back door to go out. As soon as you get up to open the door, she does a swift u turn and takes your spot on the sofa......

Honeydragon Thu 01-Jan-15 23:42:44

I'm sat on the floor, my dogs on the sofa. This is usual of an evening and amuses dh greatly. He credits the dog with more sense than her owner. grin

AlphaBravoHenryFoxtons Thu 01-Jan-15 23:53:23

Her basket bed (which we drag to wherever we are) is supercomfy too. And I've put her beautiful soft fur blanket I bought for her bed, on the sofa. So the effect is the same.

We've never allowed her on the sofa before this evening unless on our lap. It's a New a year treat not likely to be repeated. She won't remember it will she? grin [slipperyslopeemoticon]

I wish someone had warned me how much I would adore this very silly puppy.

Honeydragon Fri 02-Jan-15 00:06:41

This is my dog at this very moment, who was once let on the sofa as a treat and never left. That slope is very slippery indeed grin

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Fri 02-Jan-15 00:09:59

Cute dog HD. Cute shoes too

Mrsjayy Fri 02-Jan-15 00:15:27

We have a new sofa he isn't allowed on it yet hes really npt chuffed and rests his bumon it he has a comfy bed too I think he likes to be higher up

Honeydragon Fri 02-Jan-15 00:16:46

They are my vair glamorous £3 slippers from Tesco, I'm quite the classy lady wink

nooka Fri 02-Jan-15 00:30:21

Our dog likes dh's beanbag the best. Especially when dh is using it. He sits very close and looks at dh mournfully until he moves over and then flumps down in such a way as to push him to the very edge. If dh gets off completely the dog will spend ages trying to make a nest in it, often getting up after a minute or two to see where dh has gone and starting again.

SlideIn Fri 02-Jan-15 00:39:30

Sure there is an affectionate/cosy element, but our lurcher/whippety cross is a /very/ dominant bitch and is always trying to sit on a level with us to establish a higher place in the pack (in her tiny daft head). If we let her she progressively becomes less obedient thoughhmm. She is not allowed on the furniture at all now we have a baby but creeps up at night. I once even caught her laying up on the back of the sofa when I got up at night. Dog psychology is weird!

sweetkitty Fri 02-Jan-15 00:45:50

My dog never lies on the floor, she'll lie on the rug but never the cold floor, she has her own 2 seater sofa and we have the big corner sofa, yes most of the time she's curled up next to me.

plinkyplonks Fri 02-Jan-15 00:55:28

Daww smile Beautiful doggy Honeydragon smile

Our collie loves sleeping on the couch - it's warm, cosy and smells of her owners, so much better than doggy beds smile

TheCunnyFunt Fri 02-Jan-15 07:41:22

Because they're comfy and cosy! However, my dog has an incredibly comfortable Orvis bed (yes I have tried it!) that he loves. Trying to get him off his bed is like trying to get a Limpet iff a rock grin

Honey I have those slippers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now