Talk

Advanced search

Bit of a dim question I'm afraid...

(10 Posts)
SinclairSpectrum Mon 29-Dec-14 17:19:44

Pup is a week away from being street legal. I am obviously VERY excited about first walk, but have started to worry that there may be more to it than throwing his collar on and heading out.
What should I be considering please?

Focusfocus Mon 29-Dec-14 18:08:15

Get him used to collar and lead this week first. I used the pre legal week to put collar and lead each time she went out to the garden to wee, or poo or anything really. That way - much of the drama of first time collar,first time lead, first time dead stills and pulling etc is done in the comfort and safety of your own backyard and he isn't dealing with the newness of collar and lead on top of all the newness and sounds that the walk involves.

Secondly let him make friends with his lead over this week. Leave it on him preferably cello tape the loop so it doesn't get hooked anywhere, and, under supervision of course let him trail about with it, ours would cutely pick it up, carry it in her mouth and walk herself around. So by the time going outside arrived, at least that wasn't new.

Give plenty of treats when collar goes on, lead goes on, start associating a word with it, so that it's always a happy association.

There is a lot to lead work that you can read and watch and learn, but in this week before the first walk, that's what we did.

Gingerfudge Mon 29-Dec-14 18:11:15

Practice walking around your kitchen, get him used to the collar first, then the lead attached. Try and encourage him to walk to heel. He'll forget everything when you go outside, so try again in your garden, then very short walks just outside your house when he's legal....try to encourage heeling from the beginning if you can. I really recommend clicker training as the way to go.

SinclairSpectrum Mon 29-Dec-14 18:38:15

Thanks - he has been wearing collar for spells since he came home (4 weeks ago) and I have had success with clicker training for other stuff.
Just had a sudden flash of panic that I had missed something.
Planning on heading to the beach which is a 2 min walk from house - or should I just walk up the street and back?

Mrsmorton Mon 29-Dec-14 18:40:49

Yes, I was shocked when DDog HATED his lead. He went crazy the first time we put it on. He'd been wearing a collar for ever though.

tabulahrasa Mon 29-Dec-14 19:16:51

"Planning on heading to the beach which is a 2 min walk from house - or should I just walk up the street and back?"

I wouldn't plan on actually getting anywhere, I mean you can set off in that general direction, but arriving would be a bonus, lol.

Everything needs to be sniffed see and mouthed and generally investigated, then there's all the well I know you've just spent the last week teaching me how to walk attached to you, but I didn't realize you meant out here too carry on and if anyone walks past they'll want to stop and say hello.

So you don't really get very far.

SinclairSpectrum Mon 29-Dec-14 19:48:49

So do I let him mooch about and sniff?
Had thought I would be trying to get him to walk next to me - super smelly treats and clicker in hand. Or is that a totally unrealistic fantasy?

Camsie30 Mon 29-Dec-14 19:55:37

I would highly recommend It's Me or the Dog by Victoria Stillwell. Absolutely brilliant book written with kindness to help with puppies, training etc.... Has been a total lifesaver over the years and I've leant it to friends who have loved it too. Good luck!!

tabulahrasa Mon 29-Dec-14 22:43:10

It just depends is more what I mean, I spent 15 minutes getting current dog happy with a squeaky gate on his first walk because it scared him.

You can't really plan for things like that.

Gingerfudge Tue 30-Dec-14 09:23:21

https://www.facebook.com/notes/dog-training-advice-and-support/loose-lead-walking/619750514707176 This might help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now